8 & 9 String guitars....

Djentkitty

May 23, 2011
Hey guys, I was wondering, what are your thoughts about 8 and 9 string guitars?
I currently own both kickass 6 and 7 string guitars and am probably thinking about purchasing an 8 or 9 guitar in the future
Maybe something like Agile or something but I'm not sure yet...

What are they like? The feel, sound, the good, the bad, which are great models, anything important, recommendations etc..

Thanks,

EDIT: Also, any experiences with 8 string pickups? Something like a comparison of EMG 808's vs Cepheus vs Duncan pickups would be nice, if you've ever came across any.

Extended scale guitar are ghey.

Here is a mathematical equation: the pitch you tune to is inversely proportional to the size of your penis.

Seriously though, unless you want to be a Meshuggah or Periphery ripoff, there is not reason to ever tune below a B, 6 or 7 string.

Extended scale guitar are ghey.

Here is a mathematical equation: the pitch you tune to is inversely proportional to the size of your penis.

Seriously though, unless you want to be a Meshuggah or Periphery ripoff, there is not reason to ever tune below a B, 6 or 7 string.

...another high-string is always an option too. :wave:

1 month ago, I still thought 8 string guitars were something very rare, with only 1 or 2 options possible among all the brands available... And with the Namm coverage, I discovered everyone now has a 8 string guitar, and several 9 string guitar models are now available ! It was a "wtf" discover. I seriously don't see the interest of it, I wouldn't have enough of a lifetime to master 6 strings even if I could play 3h a day, and I also haven't come across any band that sounded good with such "not-so-exotic-anymore" tunings. When I see the ocean of things I haven't learnt yet in the instrument with only 6 strings... I understand 7 strings, it permits going down to A/B while keeping the high string, but that's it. Also, on the lowest strings, they all sound the same, whatever the amp, no matter what people say, in the end it almost always has this characteristic sound no matter what the guitar or amp is. I think between B and E is where a guitar/amp setup sounds the best for modern metal or heavy, sometimes down to A, but I don't see where this race is going. A few years ago I would have thought 9 strings to be a joke; now I'm almost seriously asking to myself when the 10 strings model will be released so that we can get rid of bassists in the line up. Of course it's up to everyone to do what they want of their fingers, but it looks like a pimp-my-guitar trend to me.

...another high-string is always an option too. :wave:

I have actually thought about that...an 8 string with a high A would be cool. Saw a video on youtube where a guy had his 8 string tuned BEADGBEA, might be cool as a novelty, but for the most part, its still a novelty. Wouldn't put it out of the equation though.

Still a 6 string guy at heart, 7 strings are pushing it.

*A

No lower than that, tho.

I am a B guy, sometimes I drop to A (have a few songs in A), but absolutely REFUSE to tune lower than that.

i wouldn't go lower than J#* :D

Fuck you, its all about drop z

case in point:

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be just me, but I don't see the fun in playing:

JerDerJurJer-------judjudjeng-bing.jpg

:D

:guh:

:)

It might be just me, but I don't see the fun in playing:

JerDerJurJer-------judjudjeng-bing.jpg

:D

:guh:

:)

Gonna have to +1 this. Do want you want, for sure. But until someone manages to be as ground breaking and inventive as Meshuggah, then it's a big novelty to me. To each their own.. Add another string = insta interesting. That seems to be the mentality anyways...

In all fairness, I don't hate 8+ string guitars at all, it's more the overall trend of djent songwriting and its new tools that are a bit disappointing imo. For example, in your Namm videos Ola, as much as I enjoyed them since I've never been able to go to Namm, and as much as I have always enjoyed your videos or your own songs, I don't like the overall sound of this new type of riffing and sounds. It's the whole direction where it's going that doesn't appeal to me, and in those low registers riffs sound more alike imo. Of course, you can play whatever you want with any guitar, but it's also fair to assume most people in 6 str E standard play old school heavy metal, and most people with 8str guitars play djent. Or maybe i'm wrong there, I just haven't come across anything very original these past years. Maybe what I don't like is that it's the sign that this trend is going even further, and my natural reaction is to think "meh". Maybe I'm getting old already and am afraid of change and will like/play all my life 90s/00s metal ! :lol: I can't talk about the fun of playing one, I'm not even used to 7string guitars since I haven't bought one, this is probably true ! It's the artistic use of them that lack originality imo. It's rare that someone creates music that really benefits from it, hence why I think most of it is a trend.

On a side note, even in classical I always found the pieces played on 8, 9, 10 or even more stringed guitar to sound less interesting, it aesthetically changes a lot the result when they are re-arranged. It sounds like a little different instrument (more drone notes). As if 6 string was the perfect balance, which of course is a neverending logic since most pieces are now written in 6str and the cultural footprint is strong in this direction, but there must be something about the size of the fretboard and the number of notes we can do at the same time (you cannot really play 6 notes chords for example) that makes it a sweet spot. It's of course a totally different philosophy, since most use of extended range electric guitars is about riffing in low notes while keeping a normal tuning for the 6 usual strings, while extended range classical guitars are usually played with a lot of open strings and chords, and the arrangement are therefore very different from the original 6str version. Most of them are about adding 4 or 5 notes in harp-like strings though, and using them to play the low voice of the piece without having to break the bass line because the hand has to move to play the high voice. It also limits the drone notes to those 5 ones making them pop when they come, and leaves an empty space when they are not there (you can fret them on Alt-guitars but you then have to move your thumb on top of the fretboard to do so because of the width of the fretboard, just like on cello on high strings although on cello you can use your thumb to play in this position) so it limits their use. It's of course a different instrument and not directly related to "extended guitars" since those AltGuitars are nothing else than a 6str guitar + drone notes.

The point on using 8 strings is that your "psicologically" forced to use only the low strings...not all the guys but a good 95%. And another problem is that playing an 8 string the results is always a Meshuggah ripoff

i don't understand the whole hate towards extended range instruments either, sure there are many people out there that jump on them and focus only on the lower register because it looks "cool", "brutal" and ZOMG Meshugah ripoffs... it is very lame, i know, the same low sound could be achieved with a normal 6 stringed guitar for example Max Cavalera, when his 2 high strings snapped he didn't care because he didn't use them any way.
as Ola said, isn't it all about having fun with it in the first place?! so... who cares??! what ever rocks your boat man.
another point in defense of extended range are musicians that actually use this massive range, look at Animals as Leaders and look at Chimp spanner this guitarist are monsters they sure do know how to use this massive range.
i think LeSedna said it right, those who hate it they simply lack of originality.

Tosin Abasi is one of the only players I know of who can fully utilise an 8 string. (I know it's an EMG demonstration, but it really shows off his versatility.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea after watching it again I think you're right, but check out his EMG playthrough of 'Wave of Babies' or pretty much any other video of him.

I have two 8 string guitars and I don't think I've ever 'djented' on them. I'm more of a jazz/fusion guys and love the range. I have basically the whole piano range on my guitar so that's pretty interesting. Music and instruments are there to inspire and to be enjoyed for each player. Of course, personal preference will also vary.

I don't know what to do with 6 strings. More would just confuse me.

I would rather have a 6 string baritone guitar than one with extra strings. In fact next year when I hopefully have some cash again I plan on buying one.

I could actually go for a 5 string baritone for playing rhythm.