8 string guitars..

Lazzari

Chakachakalabuchaka
Aug 18, 2008
In a Shitty Country (Venezuela)
so im about to buy a agile intrepid pro (wich is a 8 string guitar).. can someone here tell me your experiences with this brand (Agile) or with this model (Intrepid PRO 828) ? ive seen some videos on youtube and it looks really cool and also sounds cool too.. I know here we have some users of this brand so any help will be highly appreaciated.. also i need a place to buy the 8th string wich is a 0.072 will a bass string work ?? Thanks in advance to all !!

go to http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ and just search and read instead of starting new thread there. you will find a lot of useful information and reviews.

Im sorry if u are from that forum but 90% of those guys are complete JERKS.. and their opinions are based on complete bullsh*t.. If they have a Squire guitar they are going to say is better than any other guitar in the world (im not saying here that squire guitars suck..)
I fuck*ng hate that forum.. Thats why ive asked here.. I know some of the guys and are really nice and have no problem in helping other people..

But thanks any way..:kickass:

Im sorry if u are from that forum but 90% of those guys are complete JERKS.. and their opinions are based on complete bullsh*t.. If they have a Squire guitar they are going to say is better than any other guitar in the world (im not saying here that squire guitars suck..)
I fuck*ng hate that forum.. Thats why ive asked here.. I know some of the guys and are really nice and have no problem in helping other people..

But thanks any way..:kickass:
i am not sure how did you managed to get this impression but i guess you have your reasons with me it was actually the other way around.
any how i still advice you to lurk there because there are people that know what are they talking about.

Ruins, no. The majority of the "senior" members there are full of shit. I've seen many arguments go down there with just awfully wrong information. I've even seen them ban people when they pointed out how wrong they were. For instance, when our own JeffTD pointed out that the mod was wrong when he said "reamping adds compression"... it doesn't. ANYWAY-

@Lazzari: I owned an Agile Intrepid Pro for a while. Very nice guitar, was extremely surprised at the quality of it for the price. No complaints at all except the EMG 808 pickup. From what I understand the passive pickup they offer (Cepheus) is better than the 808. It was a very comfortable neck, the scale was great, everything. The sustain went on like a piano and the playability was way past my expectations. Something you should know about the longer scale guitars though, they don't need really heavy gauges because the tension takes care of it for you the longer the scale is. The Intrepid Pro I had came with the factory strings, I think 9's?, and I would only have needed to go up to the next gauge for my tastes. Anything much heavier and it would be too tight IMO.

Ruins, no. The majority of the "senior" members there are full of shit. I've seen many arguments go down there with just awfully wrong information. I've even seen them ban people when they pointed out how wrong they were. For instance, when our own JeffTD pointed out that the mod was wrong when he said "reamping adds compression"... it doesn't. ANYWAY-

@Lazzari: I owned an Agile Intrepid Pro for a while. Very nice guitar, was extremely surprised at the quality of it for the price. No complaints at all except the EMG 808 pickup. From what I understand the passive pickup they offer (Cepheus) is better than the 808. It was a very comfortable neck, the scale was great, everything. The sustain went on like a piano and the playability was way past my expectations. Something you should know about the longer scale guitars though, they don't need really heavy gauges because the tension takes care of it for you the longer the scale is. The Intrepid Pro I had came with the factory strings, I think 9's?, and I would only have needed to go up to the next gauge for my tastes. Anything much heavier and it would be too tight IMO.

Thanks man !! I remember u posted some pics, and said good things about the Intrepid time ago.. i was talking about the low F# string wich is a .072 IIRC.. so i was wondering if i could use a .070 or .075 bass string to replace that one when needed (For example if i break it or when it gets rusty and stuff) Thanks again Mike !

sevenstring.org is pretty douchey, id definately agree.

but yeah, i know quite a few peeps with agile guitars that all love theirs
seems like a really, really solid brand, id definately go for it man

@lolzgreg: i really want to buy it the only concern i have is this things with the low string.. its a .072 and i cant find a place to buy them..
@GarethSE: Yeah sevenstring.org suck.. they think they are the only one in this world that know something 'bout guitars, bass or anything lol

http://www.juststrings.com/

You can get D'Addario and Ernie Ball singles in some mighty heavy gauges. Up to .080, I believe. Guitar strings are not the same as bass strings. In addition to a different mix of metal, the life of the string will die MUCH faster, and the ball end will be huge and won't go all the way through the body/bridge/whatever.

I'm a member of SS.org and honestly, I don't really post as much as I used to and avoid a lot of the threads now. In between the bullshit there is good information though, but you really need to be a fairly long term member to know what is garbage and what is a useful post.
I don't really think there is a site which is as up to date on 7 string and beyond guitars. I mean, this board has a lot of useful info, but it's hardly my go to board for info on 7 strings/ERGs, so I'm willing to wade through the garbage to find good posts there at SS.org.

FWIW, I played a Schecter C-8 Hellraiser earlier this week and found that it was extremely playable, was extremely well built and had good attention to detail QC wise, had fantastic tone with the EMG 808s and the choice of body wood, and the scale length seems like the perfect compromise between clarity and still being fairly similar in feel to a 25.5 inch scale guitar

the subforum where people post their mixes is the best on SS.org
i have never seen so much derivative djent shit all in one place

The recording forum of SS.org is largely a joke really.
There is one dude who is semi pro that occasionally posts his stuff and is quite good, but that's about it really.
I keep coming across these posts where 13-14 year old kids (literally) are asking "How do you make your mix sound good? Cos I can't do it".
And they seem to get a little disappointed when I inform them having mad skillz like Andy Sneap or Andy Wallace does in fact, not happen in a few days.
It seems we have an increasing generation of people that want instant gratification and don't want to have to work for things, fuck.

At the very least I'd hope by explaining that it takes ages to become good means they'll have slightly more realistic expectations of how much work it's gonna take.

I've heard good things about Agile.

I stay away from ss.org now too. I used to be a regular...mainly in the recording section, but if it isn't djent, most people won't listen.

Everyone thinks Powerballs are the best amps ever too.

wow i just went over to ss.org and i checked out some of the mixes! they fucking suck!

there are a few metal ones and everyone is like "wow this is amazing" and crap like that!

machine gun snares, toms, cymbals - horrible grainy tones, over use of bass guitars - barf - im going to stick with the andy sneap forum! i've tried and tested the sneap forum for 4 years and none of you have ever let me down! you my bro's rock!

fuck you ss.org - you impulse robbing, sample stealing, sneap c4 setting nicking pack of fairies!

we should totally have a forum war with them

wow i just went over to ss.org and i checked out some of the mixes! they fucking suck!

there are a few metal ones and everyone is like "wow this is amazing" and crap like that!

machine gun snares, toms, cymbals - horrible grainy tones, over use of bass guitars - barf - im going to stick with the andy sneap forum! i've tried and tested the sneap forum for 4 years and none of you have ever let me down! you my bro's rock!

fuck you ss.org - you impulse robbing, sample stealing, sneap c4 setting nicking pack of fairies!

we should totally have a forum war with them
this is just stupid and childish just leave it and that's it.

wow i didn't expect to find so much hate against ss.org
i used to be (and still am) lurking on the recording section and the 7 string (for the mods fucking love 'em) but that's it i didn't expirience any crap from that forum.

enough of this thread kidnapping with ss.org hate.

At any rate, it should probably be stressed that the MAIN focus of SS.org is GUITARS, NOT AUDIO ENGINEERING, so I don't see why you would go there and expect heaps of great clips anyway. If one cannot grasp the concept that it's a guitar forum first and foremost.......then god help us.
That's the reason why we have forums specifically dedicated to audio engineering like the Sneap forum, Gearslutz etc
Just the same as I don't come to the Sneap forum and expect to have such a wealth of information on 7 and 8 string guitars.
The quality of clips on SS.org is no better on average than any other guitar forum. Yes there is a stupid djent clips, but I just ignore those threads.

More on topic, there is a shit load of used Ibanez RG2228s on the market, and a lot of the time it's only because people found they couldn't get along with 8 strings and/or the scale length, so they'll often be in excellent condition and the EMG 808s means no pickup swap needed (some people like to change them for Lundgrens, BKP etc but I personally think the EMGs sound great.