Amp suited for 8 string?

pattonfreak1

Bored Member
May 24, 2009
Saint Louis, Mo.
I will prolly be purchasing an Agile 8 string in the near future and was wondering if there's an amp more responsive/suited to the extended range.
Thanks in advance.

X-V-AMP_P0209_Perspective_web.jpg

It's not necessarily "what amp" as much as it is the entire rig. Your cab will need to be able to handle the low end, which will require some eq'ing anyways on the amp itself. Any amp can technically handle an 8 string...just depends on how you want it to transfer.

Engl amps, Diezel VH4, Mesa Rectos can actually work pretty decently, Line 6 stuff works well if you like how it sounds...

Let's just skip the pretense, you know you're gonna end up with one of these :D

58061-1-big.jpg

Yes. I use an Axe-FX Ultra with my Agile 8. It rocks.

while i do GAS for an axe-fx alot, i'd recommend engl amps. i've played a baritone tuned down to E an octave below guitar through a fireball, and it sounded like total clarity and brewtalz at the same time. totally tight and clear lows and everything. also, that was through an orange cab, as those are totally awesome.

it's not that hard to get a decent sound from an 8 string though, it just kinda depends on what you're after. i would get an EQ pedal and put it in front of any amp for tweaking what hits the preamp.

Wouldn't it be more dependant on the cab as opposed to the amp? Like, getting a good tone out with an 8?

Both are fairly important, but you don't need a huge low end or anything. I get by just fine with my V30 loaded Avatar.

I agree with Phil, we both work at the same music store and the Vypyr's are killer for 8-string stuff.

I'm actually quite impressed w/Peavey's modeling technology on those...

If the Axe FX is outta your price range, Digitech's GSP 1101 or the POD X3 Live.
Last time I tried out an 8 string guitar in a guitar shop, modeling just seemed to work better than any of the tube amps I used, but granted that was only a short term experience.

One thing with 8 strings is that you're really using less gain than you would a 6 or even 7 string. That saturated gain thing makes power/root 5 chords below Ab note impossible IMO. If you're playing sludge, then however, you've hit the jackpot multiplied by 10.

It means you really have to adjust your playing style too.
In this case modeling works even better in your favor, because you can set up a really saturated patch for your leads as per normal, maybe a moderately saturated (ala Nevermore TGE, Arch Enemy DM, Killswitch Engage EoH) patch for the 6th string upwards for rhythms and a much lower gain, drier patch for working with the low F#.

If the Axe FX is outta your price range, Digitech's GSP 1101 or the POD X3 Live.
Last time I tried out an 8 string guitar in a guitar shop, modeling just seemed to work better than any of the tube amps I used, but granted that was only a short term experience.

One thing with 8 strings is that you're really using less gain than you would a 6 or even 7 string. That saturated gain thing makes power/root 5 chords below Ab note impossible IMO. If you're playing sludge, then however, you've hit the jackpot multiplied by 10.

It means you really have to adjust your playing style too.
In this case modeling works even better in your favor, because you can set up a really saturated patch for your leads as per normal, maybe a moderately saturated (ala Nevermore TGE, Arch Enemy DM, Killswitch Engage EoH) patch for the 6th string upwards for rhythms and a much lower gain, drier patch for working with the low F#.

dude try the pod x3... meshuggah used line 6 stuff for a long time...

Awesome
Thanks for all the input fella's

I'd be hesitant to go with a Mesa Rectifier for an 8 string. They are great amps, but a giant pain in the ass to get a tight recorded tone out of, and I play 7 string baritone, tuned to c or b, can't imagine going to an 8 would be any easier unless I was playing slower atmospheric material.