8-string Has Arrived!

Jan 10, 2005
This thing is great! Came in excellent condition, like brand new basically. The neck is NOWHERE near as wide or thick as you would imagine when you see/hear "8-string." IMO it's also more manageable than the Ibby 8-string. No dead spots on the neck, strings are fairly light, but still have good tension on the low F# (woohoo for long scales!). Can't wait to get it home and rock out.

Here are some pics, just from my cell phone. They are really washed out looking, the wood on the guitar is much deeper/darker in person than the pics would have you believe. Check it out!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

BAAAAAUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

It's an EMG-808. From what I understand it's very close to the 707. So, in other words, muddy. Apparently the "Cepheus" pickups (Agile's pups, passive) are more clear than the EMG-808 :( So, I'll see how this 808 goes, maybe it'll be ok.

It cost $0, I traded my beloved EC-1000 for it with a dude in California. To justify that, I reasoned that EC-1000's can be had on the cheap all day on eBay so I can always get another one. Plus, since I got my Gibson Explorer (same scale, same body/neck woods, set-neck and TOM also) it has been the main 6'er. On top of that, haha, I really wanted an 8-string. This model is $795 new, I believe.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOUUUUUWWWW CHUUUUUG BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOUWWWW

I got one exactly like that :)

I've already ordered a replacement pickup from Swineshead, although they are taking their time building it....

:lol::lol::lol:

It's not as bad as you'd think. A couple of friends came over last night, they also play guitar, and they were like "holy balls!" at first, but I plugged it in and we all jammed on it quite a bit. They both said afterwards that it's actually quite comfortable and that it wasn't so much the neck's width that was any kind of problem but more the scale length! The first few frets really are a lot further apart than any of us are use to (my C7 is 26.5 and my Gibbo and the EC1k are 24.75) so all the little death metal riffage we default to was a little difficult after a while haha. But yeah, I'm quite surprised at it.

The 28.6 scale length definitely does wonders for sustain - holy crap. It just...doesn't stop...ever... it's crazy. Very piano like. The tension is so good with the scale as well. It's like a 58 or something for the F#! Anywho, I'll try to get a clip going very soon.

Yeah, the maker is Agile, sold through Rondomusic, and I think a few other online retailers. If you check out sevenstring.org's Classified section on their boards you can find a few for sale on the cheap. They are only $800 brand spanking new for the highest trim. There is another model with ash body, bolt-on maple neck and the passive pickup(s) (which, again, is suppose to have more clarity than the EMG) for less. Both trims have single and dual humbucker available, different finishes and maple or ebony fretboards, no inlays on either one, only side dots.

Overall, badass guitar, especially for what you pay for them. Kicks the shit out of the Ibanez RG2228 I played a while back, IMO, and wayyyy less price for more features/options.

How's the fit and finish, 006? I'm gassing hard on a couple of the guitars on Rondo's site (quite unexpectedly, I might add) and am curious about the value.