Best 5-string bass for around 500 USD?

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm currently using a $300 Sterling Sub 4-string bass with the nut widened and tuned to BEAD. It doesn't sound like total crap, but it's certainly on the crap spectrum and not suited at all to metal. Any recommendations for a 5-string bass around USD $500ish (no more than 600, ideally) that would be decent enough to do high-quality bedroom recordings? I've just been looking at brands like Ibanez and Schecter because I trust them, but not sure if there are any other, better options out there for the price. Thanks in advance :)

I have a brand new Ibanez bass that I literally just bought from Guitar Center. I thought I'd need for the studio, but quickly realized I didn't. If you're interested, I can email you pics. I have no idea what model it is either. The GC workers couldn't even find the serial number in their system and basically had make up a price based on similiar ones. To be honest, I think I got the better end of the bargain from them. It's an awesome bass.

Can't go wrong with the BTB line from Ibanez. They sound and play phenomenally well. You should be able to find plenty in your price range in the used market

+1 on Mexican Jazz basses. $500 should get you a great deal in the used market. You'd have a bass that's more than likely better made than the average Chinese/Indonesian/Vietnamese stuff, and you'd still have some bucks left to swap the pups out for EMG's or Duncans or whatever floats your boat.

Wow, sounds like a pretty decent consensus on the Fender Jazz basses. Not what I was expecting, but there are a lot out there so I'll start looking. I'll also check out the Ibanez BTB, Peavey and Spector ones mentioned. Thanks guys!