Good affordable 5 string bass for recording?

WOW, no argument here Jeff - but what's that mess going on between the two pots on the Brice? I hope it's just a removable label showing what they control, cuz it's quite the blemish...

Haha. I don't expect a bunch of metal guitar players to understand style. Haha. You guys probably hate Tele's too, no? Those Brice basses are absolutely boring to look at.

But I will agree that USA Cirrus' are a quite beautiful basses. I actually owned one (Walnut body/Walnut top/Walnut neck with maple stringers/Rosewood board), but sold it cause 35" scale isn't my thing really. Bass played itself though. The BXP Cirrus are great basses as well, but lack the USA Preamp. So they sound a little bit different.

Haha. I don't expect a bunch of metal guitar players to understand style. Haha. You guys probably hate Tele's too, no? Those Brice basses are absolutely boring to look at.

Hate to break it to ya, but condescension doesn't make style any less subjective, and if you don't like metal guitar players or our meager comprehension of "style," then you're on the wrong forum. :) And yes, I dislike most Teles, but not as much as those basses.

Sounds like this http://www.allcapsrecording.com/media/ncnc/el_chupacabra.mp3

the brice bass surprised me because I didn't know they were "cheap" basses until after I recorded it.

I don't suppose you remember the model or body wood & pups?
Just to get a better idea of what I'm listening to.

I'm curious as to how their stock humbucker pickups with alnico magnets compare to EMG hz's and how their "improved" active pre-amp compares to spectors tone pump?. Big differences?

So I just had a look over at Rondomusic.com, and was heartbroken to see that all the sexiest Brice basses are 6-string :cry: Assholes, what's up with that? Though on the other hand, I'm not really familiar with basses, so I always just assumed a 6-string was overkill; what're the advantages/disadvantages of a 6-string bass?

Haha. I'm just fucking with you guys. Plenty of people think the ATK's are ugly (most are bass players for that matter). Its half the reason I posted the pictures. I figured ugly dudes would appreciate ugly basses/guitars, haha.

And the only good thing about a 6 string bass is that you have that extra high string. So when all that low end starts to scare you, you can turn on some distortion, start fiddling around on that high C and feel like your playing a guitar. Or some such nonsense.

I don't suppose you remember the model or body wood & pups?
Just to get a better idea of what I'm listening to.

I'm curious as to how their stock humbucker pickups with alnico magnets compare to EMG hz's and how their "improved" active pre-amp compares to spectors tone pump?. Big differences?
I don't remember but I can find out. I know it was fretless and bone stock (and it may have been a six string. It had the zebra looking wood I remember thinking "WTF?" when he brought it in, but was pleasantly surprised when he fired it up.

WOW, no argument here Jeff - but what's that mess going on between the two pots on the Brice? I hope it's just a removable label showing what they control, cuz it's quite the blemish...

It's just a tag.

Oh, hi, I was raised on jazz and probably have more jazz blood in me than anything else. You've wonderfully combined ad hominem attacks and sweeping generalizations in a lovely display of OMGWTFBBQ and it failed.

Also, I love Teles.

Those are just positively hideous mongrels of five different basses. Finally, Zebrawood and Bubinga are top-notch veneers, and, while you have every right not to like them, you'll probably get more takers for a Zebrawood top than that sparkly black one with the failed pickguard that never tried hard enough. I'd love a nice Jazz, but those look like they tried to be a hip, modern reinvention and failed.

Jeff

dscn1210vm5.jpg

dscn1212ju0.jpg

dscn1211hc6.jpg

From the original bass picstory, can't recall the link here but if you want it I can PM you the link from another forum.

Jeff

Jeff, how come you went for the 6-string? I mentioned above that I was heartbroken that all the sexiest Brices are 6-stringers, but also that I don't know much about basses, so a rundown of the advantages/disadvantages of a 6-string over a 5-string bass would be much appreciated! (this goes for anyone else, as well!)

You people are too fucking serious for me. Lighten the fuck up. I was just having some jokes. I realize sarcasm can come off wrong on the internet. Have a beer or some sleep or something. Jeez.

And the only advantage to having a six string is you have more (of the same) notes to play. Do you need the higher octaves or not? You wanna play more chords? You wanna shell out more money for strings (for real)?

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS you probably don't need a six stringer as the only bassists that really put them to work are soloist. And I imagine you being a primary guitar player wouldn't dig the wider neck, but maybe you would.