Bass for $400 or less

iHate

Mar 31, 2009
So I have been shopping for a decent bass to record with and I have a maximum amount of $400 to spend on one. It's going to have to be new because my CL is full of crap. I've looked at the Ibanez SR300 and SR305, a couple of Fenders but now they are too expensive, and some Schecters. If it's at guitar center I can probably go up to $450 as I have a $50 off coupon.

Can anyone give some recommendations for the best bang for your buck bass? I dont care if it's 4 string, 5 string, 34" or 35" scale, I just want something that can give me a good low end for my recordings, because I cannot stand pitch shifting my guitars any longer.

The Schecter Stiletto Customs are pretty solid, IMO.

If you can get a used Warwick Rockbass, that'd be pretty good. Those are, IMO, some of the best bang-for-the-buck basses.

You'll get way more bass for your buck if you go second hand.

I think the Ibanez SR series sound pretty damn good, like the Bartolini pickups in them, there's also the ATK and BTB's, all really solid basses imo.

Schecter Stilletto's are cool but I feel they would be better if they had a bigger body, I found I had to rely on using the EQ on the bass when I was recording one recently as without a bass and treble boost it doesn't sound too great.

Fender Jazz or P bass are both good, very good with a pickup upgrade. If you'd can't afford a Fender then the Squier Vintage Modified is a SERIOUSLY good bass for very little money.

The best advice I can give is to see what bass sounds best acoustically, one that is good and loud acoustically that maybe has a less powerful pickup (this can be upgraded) will be a better investment than a weak sounding bass with a beefy pickup.

I have bought a Ltd B-50 for half that price. I guess for 400 bucks, a ltd would be a great investment. Actually, for not being myself a tremendously good bassist, I really think it's awesome for the price. Can't really say for other brands, but Ltd seems really have a good bang-for-the-bucks ratio.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I ended up getting this in white http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SRX2EX1-4String-Bass?sku=514310 which was marked at $300 and then I got another $50 knocked off.

I played the Schecters, and either the way they are constructed or the EMG HZ's in them make them sound dead and lifeless to me. The SR300 sounded okay, but felt really cheap. Played a Sterling Musicman and it has a very similar tone to this Ibanez I bought. Sure, it doesn't play as well, but for $250 I couldn't really say no to myself! lol... finally have a bass though!

if you are looking for a bass that just sounds great for recording, take a look at the Ibanez Atk series...basically their take on a music man. It's a little heavy for some people, but if you just want good recording bass tone, they sound absolutely killer stock...they are about 500 new, (edit: woops...just saw you were looking under 400) and there are a ton of them on the used market (im sure GC's used section online has a bunch too)... they definely go for cheap on the used market....
they feel a little more solid than the low cost soundgears as well..

Oh...I saw you bought something already...I have the neck through version of that bass...really fun to play..sounds better with the eq flat imo..enjoy...

I'm deffo gonna be trying out an ATK when I go to get my bass. Played one ages ago and it seemed great. Ibanez had some cool clips on their website but they've took them down now I think.

If you go with something from rondomusic.net, I would try and get an ash bass or alder at least. I think the ash ones are just shy of $200. Well worth it for that richer wood. New strings, a good setup and those instruments just kill. Quite the value!

yes i may have to go for something else after all. I'm having quite a problem with this Ibanez buzzing. It's not fret buzz, it sounds like its coming from the bridge, but I can't make it stop no matter how I adjust it or how hard i press on the bridge. Ive had it all apart and put it back together nicely and still doesnt fix it. It's not loud, just a faint buzzing on all strings, it reminds me of my ibanez guitar's tremolo when it isnt fully against the block. Annoying as hell, shit you can't hear in a busy store, but as soon as you get it home kick yourself for buying it.