Jazz Bass: Four or Five String

chrisx96

New Metal Member
Oct 25, 2008
Im currently debating on whether to get the 4 or 5 string mexican fender jazz bass. I have found both of them used for the same price($400) and am leaning towards the five string. I was just wondering if anyone had anything good or bad to say for the five string.

Thanks

Same price, one more string! Reminds me of "this one goes to 11"!!!
Seriously, I'd go for the 5, seems to me you have more "tonal" options. Actually I'm been looking for one as well.

Yeah I might actually go for the 4 string. I haven't tried out that exact model but keep in mind the 5th string might sound muddy on cheaper models but you could always help the problem with better pickups, strings, etc. Check the length of the neck, that also might have a factor in clarity. Well what the hell.. try them out! :)

It's a rare occasion that I've found a 5 string bass that sounds as good as a 4 string. I'm not sure why this is, but even expensive 5 string basses from great companies like Warwick and Spector often don't sound as good as cheap 4 strings. That said, I haven't played a 5 string Fender Jazz bass. If they're anywhere near as good as a 4 string Jazz bass, then awesome. Let me know what you decide, I will likely be purchasing a Fender Jazz bass myself in the future and I would love to hear clips in any case.

thanks for the quick reply guys. The thing about the muddyness of the 5th string is something that i've heard before. The problem that I have right now is that the five string is about a 2 and a 1/2 drive away so it would suck to make the drive and not buy it. lol on the spinal tap reference btw. I wonder if the 5 string has any more sustain.

I recorded a deluxe jazz 5 that sounded awesome once. I was quite surprised b/c I had never considered fender as a "more than 4" bass maker. Obviously the 4's are good.
I'm definitely a 5 string player though for whatever that's worth.

I really don't see how a 5-string bass can sound any different than a 4-string tuned down to B (same with 7- and 6-string guitars, I just prefer the feel of 6-stringers which is why I play 'em)

well, I ended up getting the 4 string, it's not the ergodyne or whatever. It's the mexican one with the active pups. I haven't had much of a chance to play it, but so far it seems bad ass. Really agressive!

I cant remember what it was but it was really bright and clinky, but also had a really nice low end that wasn't overpowering or muddy.

It was black with cream binding.

Joe

I rehearsed once with a 5 string Jazz bass and totally fell in love with it, I don't really see how a 4 string sounds better, in one of my bands I never use the 5th string cause the muddiness of low A (D tuning on 6 string guitars) is undesired, and I play my Strinberg 5 string just like a 4 string. On my other band, the guitarist tunes his 6 string in B so I use Standard 5 string tuning and the muddines is much addecuate and needed. Don't see how having a 5th string will muddy up the sound of the rest of the bass, If I understood correctly what some of you said

Sorry to revive this thread but I have a kind of related question. I got a used Washburn t24 bass and I was planing on send it to a luthier to calibrate it to B tuning, but then I started making the math and realized that doing all that stuff (his work + new strings) is as expensive as selling my bass for the same price I bought it and looking for a 5-string bass (maybe a used t25 or I perhaps should add more money and get a Schecter Stiletto). So, should I tune my 4-string bass to B or should I sell it and get a 5-string? I have to admit I really regret buying a 4-string without making the math first :/

personally I diliske Wahsburn basses (guitars too but oh well), and yeah they're so cheap setting it up costs the same as buying it hahhaah

getting a 5 string or setting up a 4 string for B tuning is a matter of choice. There are many 4 stringers that come factory tuned very low (even F#), if you could get one of those it would be best for you cause obviously you won't be using the high G string, if you would you wouldn't bought a 4. Can't remember right now any specific ones, but search it, maybe on talkbass you could find some good info, that place is heaven for bassists