Am I the only guy who hates Ibanez?

I don't like JEMs either, in fact I don't like any guitars with trems period. But it's unfair to slag off an entire company because of one style of guitar they make that you don't like (you in the general sense, not directed specifically towards you JBroll.) I think anybody who likes the sound and feel of a Schecter would love those Ibanez SZRs, they are damn near the same thing aside from the pickups.

It's ignorant to slag off the brand name because of one model. That's like if I started a topic called "Am I the only guy who hates Digidesign?" and the body was "M-Box pre's are crappy and sound bad."

We were actually going for the most well-known subset of Ibanez axes... those tremmed basswood sticks.

Now, if you were pissed at Pro Tools, or you didn't like Peavey because of the 5150, or Rectos got your panties in a knot, we could talk like that...

Jeff

I do think Ibanez are overhyped, overpriced guitars and that you are paying for the name more than anything though... I'm a Jackson guy myself, but even their prices have skyrocketed recently.

[/url]

I've got a cheap Jackson Rhoads V that came with shitty stock pickups... That one, yeah, I did change 'em out for a set of EMG's. 81 & H ... and a booster circuit too. Don't use it much for rhythms, but it sounds almost harp-like on cleans.

Wow, crazy thread.
I definitely respect Oz's opinion and have learned a lot from reading his posts in the forum. I agree with the points he made about Ibanez, but I could apply it to other guitar brands as well.
It seems Joshua is taking people's opinions as a personal insult.

I just picked up an Ibanez Prestige RGA321 last week. It has a mohagany body with a thick maple top and the most comfortable fixed bridge I've played. It definitely sounds a lot better than my cheap RG (which I still love).

I own an RG550 with an aftermarket mahogany body, a DiMarzio D Sonic in the neck, stock middle single coil, and PAF Pro in the neck. That 550 was hardly lower-end... and it still doesn't sound as thick as my Schecter.

HAHA UR SO FUENNY! You're also forgetting that other people here have a sense of humor. What's more, not all stock pickups suck - I've seen people pay DiMarzio prices for old Dean stocks, and some companies - including those awful shit Korean Schecters - just put proper Seymour Duncans and DiMarzios in their axes.

Aside from customs, aren't all Schecters Korean-made (except for the lowest models)? The problem with claiming that Korean-made guitars are crap is that we have reductio ad absurdums like the Schecter Hellraiser. The truth is that while Korean-made guitars have been regarded as cheap copies, they are now starting to find their way into the hands of big profile artists. Does this sound familiar to what happened in the 80's with some other guitars regarded as copied crap?

Schecter got big because they wisely chose the best place to mass produce the best $1000 guitar, the Cort factory in Incheon, South Korea. They capitalized on efficiency since the same factory could also produce the best $400 guitar as well. This is why you don't see $150 Schecters and I believe that's part of the reason why Schecter's brand name strenghtened (they avoided Chinese guitars). This is also why many Schecter guitars look and play identical to Cort guitars (I also own a Cort KX1F). Recently I've heard that the lowest Schecters indeed have moved to Chinese production since 2006 (the same year the Taylor baby series moved to Mexico). This makes sense since Korean Schecters went up in price.

It's time to stop pretending that Schecter is crap because they make their top non-custom guitars in Korea.

I used to own an Ibanez 7 string with stock pickups and even used it on some parts of the first Aghora CD. But with time the intonation got all out of wack and it was pretty much unfixable :mad:
Ibanez no more for me.

I got say honestly guitarists rarely know what good recorded tone is (actually many don't know good live tone either). Just hope on over to HC and go into the recording forum, so many dudes who play guitar and can't get tone worth a shit out of there $3k+ setup.

Besides the 8 bands that I recorded last year 4 of them had ibanez guitars. Not one of them worth a shit (and remember I own one).

Not to mention the great big built in "spring reverb" carved into the back of the guitar where there should be wood, causing all manner of nasty overtones.
-0z-

+1
However i own a UV777: i love the neck, the feel and the EdgePro trem.
Basswood lollypop or not: i bet some of you guys could record me a decent tone with it!!

Yeh my buddy owns a universe and that thing fucking screams but like oz said earlier its rythm tone just isnt there, but for soloing god that thing is brilliant.

I have the UV777 also and had just made up my mind to swap out the Blazes for Blackouts but now I don't know if I should bother. Maybe I should just sell it. :erk: I guess its a higher end Ibanez but its still basswood with a trem.

My plan was to get a hellraiser c-7 to split the recordings with the uv777, both lead and rhythms. What to do, what to do...
This thread sucks. :lol:

And what about the value of the uv777? That will go up?

Haha, I don't know about that, there's more than two brands out there, and my choice for riffs would be ESP LTD or Carvin (cuz I think all Schecters except for the 006 look exactly the same :) )

Aside from customs, aren't all Schecters Korean-made (except for the lowest models)? The problem with claiming that Korean-made guitars are crap is that we have reductio ad absurdums like the Schecter Hellraiser. The truth is that while Korean-made guitars have been regarded as cheap copies, they are now starting to find their way into the hands of big profile artists. Does this sound familiar to what happened in the 80's with some other guitars regarded as copied crap?

Schecter got big because they wisely chose the best place to mass produce the best $1000 guitar, the Cort factory in Incheon, South Korea. They capitalized on efficiency since the same factory could also produce the best $400 guitar as well. This is why you don't see $150 Schecters and I believe that's part of the reason why Schecter's brand name strenghtened (they avoided Chinese guitars). This is also why many Schecter guitars look and play identical to Cort guitars (I also own a Cort KX1F). Recently I've heard that the lowest Schecters indeed have moved to Chinese production since 2006 (the same year the Taylor baby series moved to Mexico). This makes sense since Korean Schecters went up in price.

It's time to stop pretending that Schecter is crap because they make their top non-custom guitars in Korea.

As I've offered before, I do offer lessons in sarcasm...

You missed the part where I said I'd take Schecters over Ibanez, and in other threads over just about anything else, and later said they were solid chunks of mahogany with good pickups. I'm not the one to be going after over the Schecter-bashing...

And I agree about the "Schecter for rhythm" thing, Gnash, but... gonna have to go with Schecter or Gibson for leads, until I can afford a Caparison.

Jeff

Ugghh, Gibson Jeff? Sound-wise maybe, but good luck getting your fingers up anywhere useful on an LP (and I fucking HATE SG's)

It would be cool as hell if someone here with a basswood ibanez, w/trem and w/emg's or blackouts could post samples or send Oz DI clips to reamp and post the results and then maybe compare it to a hellraiser clip. I trust that Oz would try to get the best tone he could with the Ibanez without taking up to much of his time and be honest about it. That is if he would be willing to do it.
:err:

Ugghh, Gibson Jeff? Sound-wise maybe, but good luck getting your fingers up anywhere useful on an LP (and I fucking HATE SG's)

Keep in mind that I don't weedly-weedle on the upper frets, 12-19 is fine by me and the tone more than makes up for the fact that I can't play all the notes MAB hits on his fifty-eight fret spaceship guitar...

Jeff

Although restricted to 22 frets I have no problem getting to the 22nd fret on my LP.

But fuck me if LP's don't need upgraded pickups the second you get them too. And tuners.

And for the shredders...Jackson necks crush any Ibanez POS neck.

Although I will say I have played a couple nice Ibanez's, but for recording....no thanks.