Am I the only guy who hates Ibanez?

lmfao this is a gear war now.

I think people choose Schecter because they are quality guitars that sound damn nice. The price is attractive, yes, but tbh, I would be more tempted to buy an Ibanez if I was looking at the price of a guitar. Aren't they the ones with the $150 starter packs?

I personally like Ibanez guitars, but ffs dude. Do you work for Ibanez or something?

There is a reason people dislike Ibanez's and it has been pointed out in this thread. Some reasons may be more valid than others but ugh.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on here? Is this some kind of gear jihad or what?

Some people have voiced they're discontent with some Ibanez guitars, but if I look through this thread almost everybody (if not everybody) did back that up with an explanation why they dislike certain guitars. So where's the fucking problem? I don't get it.

JoshuaLogan, you're responding here as if you're personally offended. Are you on the Ibanez pay roll or what? I personally don't have a problem with Ibanez, played many but never owned one myself because I always found something that was just a little better suited for what I was looking. I could understand you if people were like "I think Ibanez suck, because they're gay!", but if someone backs up his claim and there is some kind of logic behind it, I won't have a problem with it even if I don't agree at all.

And pulling off names like Vai, Gilbert, Friedman etc. and then bashing Schecter buyers because they're supposed to be influenced by the Loomis endorsement is a rather stupid argumentation.

Chill out dudes, everyone's taste is different...

Seriously, what the fuck is going on here? Is this some kind of gear jihad or what?

Some people have voiced they're discontent with some Ibanez guitars, but if I look through this thread almost everybody (if not everybody) did back that up with an explanation why they dislike certain guitars. So where's the fucking problem? I don't get it.

JoshuaLogan, you're responding here as if you're personally offended. Are you on the Ibanez pay roll or what? I personally don't have a problem with Ibanez, played many but never owned one myself because I always found something that was just a little better suited for what I was looking. I could understand you if people were like "I think Ibanez suck, because they're gay!", but if someone backs up his claim and there is some kind of logic behind it, I won't have a problem with it even if I don't agree at all.

And pulling off names like Vai, Gilbert, Friedman etc. and then bashing Schecter buyers because they're supposed to be influenced by the Loomis endorsement is a rather stupid argumentation.

Chill out dudes, everyone's taste is different...

Hardly any of them made any valid points. I countered pretty much every point made and they don't reply to them because they know they have nothing to say. Examples: comparisons to Gibson & Fender, quality of basswood as a wood for guitar bodies, trems' tuning stability, thickness of sound being related to thickness of body, etc. I commented on each thing, and instead of countering my points (which they can't do) they cry because my language wasn't as nice as it could have been. Boohoo, I called people on their ignorance.

The only point I think is valid is that the stock pickups suck, but I think that of pretty much every mass produced stock guitar...

Hardly any of them made any valid points. I countered pretty much every point made and they don't reply to them because they know they have nothing to say. Examples: comparisons to Gibson & Fender, quality of basswood as a wood for guitar bodies, trems' tuning stability, thickness of sound being related to thickness of body, etc. I commented on each thing, and instead of countering my points (which they can't do) they cry because my language wasn't as nice as it could have been. Boohoo, I called people on their ignorance.

The only point I think is valid is that the stock pickups suck, but I think that of pretty much every mass produced stock guitar...
Oh yea,well your a big poopyhead:p

James Murphy played Ibanez guitars for years and got undeniably thick, heavy tone. The thing with Ibanez is that maybe 3/10 Ibanez guitars are killer, and the rest are lemons. You have to try before you buy. I owned 3 Ibanez's and learned my lesson because the two that I mail ordered were both duds, but the one I tested and bought at the local shop was killer.

These days I play Schecter and LTD, but I would love to find an original S-Series 7 string and load it with Blackouts someday...

I'm not a producer. I'm a guitarist. A MUSICIAN. If you hadn't noticed, this thread is about Ibanez guitars, not producing.

Actually, I did notice. I started the thread. In fact it was about how I dislike Ibanez for tracking heavy rhythm guitar & was wondering if anyone else shared the same sentiment. Turns out, a number of people do. They're perfectly fine for lead work, no question there. That was also stated numerous times.

So yes, in hindsight, the thread is related to production. Any opinion I might have is based solely on experience in making records. An Ibanez might be fine for rhythm guitar at a younger sister's birthday party, or a room full of drunk people, but while recording, where it really counts I find them lacking... ...as I do in a number of rhythm tones of those people who's names you dropped. Not all, but most. "The sound is in the hands" is a phrase I live by, and yes, in the right hands, I'm quite sure an Ibanez can give off a truly amazing rhythm tone. Unfortunately, I don't get many of those players with truly amazing technique walking through my door every day. Hence, I prefer to work with something that has a little more balls to it.

Is it so difficult to accept that opinion?

That being said, if you can't back up your statements with any form of clip/sound sample, you're really not saying much, are you?

Anyway, I think I'm going to end my comments for this thread here. I just don't see the point in arguing over a thread that's over a year old. If my statements are offensive to some, grow a thicker skin & be thankful you don't play drums! :)

Take care guys,
-0z-

Just to throw some sticks into this fire, I prefer my Schecter C-1 Classic over my John Petrucci Ibanez which is just collecting dust (and rising in value). I love both, but I can't go back to bolt-on after strumming a chord on a neck-thru. Also higher-end Korean-made guitars made in the 21st century easily compare to 20th century Japanese-made guitars, otherwise Schecter wouldn't be able to sell their guitars in the $750-1000 range. Actually Schecter guitars rose in price recently.

Actually, I did notice. I started the thread. In fact it was about how I dislike Ibanez for tracking heavy rhythm guitar & was wondering if anyone else shared the same sentiment. Turns out, a number of people do. They're perfectly fine for lead work, no question there. That was also stated numerous times.

So yes, in hindsight, the thread is related to production. Any opinion I might have is based solely on experience in making records. An Ibanez might be fine for rhythm guitar at a younger sister's birthday party, or a room full of drunk people, but while recording, where it really counts I find them lacking... ...as I do in a number of rhythm tones of those people who's names you dropped. Not all, but most. "The sound is in the hands" is a phrase I live by, and yes, in the right hands, I'm quite sure an Ibanez can give off a truly amazing rhythm tone. Unfortunately, I don't get many of those players with truly amazing technique walking through my door every day. Hence, I prefer to work with something that has a little more balls to it.

Is it so difficult to accept that opinion?

That being said, if you can't back up your statements with any form of clip/sound sample, you're really not saying much, are you?

Anyway, I think I'm going to end my comments for this thread here. I just don't see the point in arguing over a thread that's over a year old. If my statements are offensive to some, grow a thicker skin & be thankful you don't play drums! :)

Take care guys,
-0z-

You're right. Arguing with someone who likes B.C. Rich acrylic guitars (lol), thinks all passive pickups are inferior to the typical EMG 81/85, talks up cheaply made schecter and ltd guitars as if their something special, and thinks guitars with trems can't be intonated or stay in tune as well as a fixed bridge guitar is pretty much pointless. Okay, that was mostly joking around, but seriously....

I never once said that you're not a good producer, and although I've never heard of you or any band on your website except for Say Anything (*cringe*), the quality of the recordings is very good, but that doesn't mean you have any idea what you're talking about when it comes to guitars or pickups. You are a producer (and probably have an ego like most) with a bias for cheap guitars with EMG's. That's what you like, and apparently can't produce the same results with other tools. I'm not an asshole and can admit that you have done great production work, but that doesn't at all make your comments have any validity. I have no problem with you not liking the guitars. I have a problem with you stating your opinions as fact, when they often don't make any sense or come from inexperience. (Saying guitars with trems aren't good for tracking rhythms?! Come on, give me a break!)

No one is contesting Ibanez has shitty stock pickups, and I'm aware that the upper end models are usually quite a bit more expensive than LTD's and Schecters, but I don't even think either of those brands of guitars are on the same level of quality, let alone superior, as you seem to think. I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't spent much time with a nice Ibanez or even one comparable to your guitar, so I honestly think some of the opinions you've stated are a total joke. A quality Ibanez with the same type of wood and pickups as your Schecter will easily sound just as good. There is nothing special about it, especially when you're using EMG's which are so compressed that they sound very similar in nearly every guitar they're put into. It shouldn't take much EQing to get a thick sounding rhythm tone.

You also seem to think there's something inherently wrong with passive pickups. Let me guess, you've never tried a decent set of them? Bare Knuckle, APC, Lundgren, WCR, etc. There's plenty of passive pickups that have as much output, clarity, and tightness as an EMG 81, and often sound much bigger. The 81 is not a very thick sounding pickup. Passive pickups also have the advantage of coil splitting and thus can cover a wider range of music styles with a single guitar, which is great for someone who plays more than just metal. My best guess is you have mostly been in contact with lower end basswood Ibanez guitars with horrible stock pickups, and that's why you've formed the opinion you have, and I'd agree with it if I had only played the same guitars. If you like mahogany guitars with the EMG 81/85 set, then you'd easily be satisfied with a mahogany Ibanez with the same set. It's all about knowing what kind of wood and pickups produce the sound you like. Pretty simple if you ask me...

You're right. Arguing with someone who likes B.C. Rich acrylic guitars (lol), thinks all passive pickups are inferior to the typical EMG 81/85, talks up cheaply made schecter and ltd guitars as if their something special, and thinks guitars with trems can't be intonated or stay in tune as well as a fixed bridge guitar is pretty much pointless. Okay, that was mostly joking around, but seriously....

I never once said that you're not a good producer, and although I've never heard of you or any band on your website except for Say Anything (*cringe*), the quality of the recordings is very good, but that doesn't mean you have any idea what you're talking about when it comes to guitars or pickups. You are a producer (and probably have an ego like most) with a bias for cheap guitars with EMG's. That's what you like, and apparently can't produce the same results with other tools. I'm not an asshole and can admit that you have done great production work, but that doesn't at all make your comments have any validity. I have no problem with you not liking the guitars. I have a problem with you stating your opinions as fact, when they often don't make any sense or come from inexperience. (Saying guitars with trems aren't good for tracking rhythms?! Come on, give me a break!)

No one is contesting Ibanez has shitty stock pickups, and I'm aware that the upper end models are usually quite a bit more expensive than LTD's and Schecters, but I don't even think either of those brands of guitars are on the same level of quality, let alone superior, as you seem to think. I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't spent much time with a nice Ibanez or even one comparable to your guitar, so I honestly think some of the opinions you've stated are a total joke. A quality Ibanez with the same type of wood and pickups as your Schecter will easily sound just as good. There is nothing special about it, especially when you're using EMG's which are so compressed that they sound very similar in nearly every guitar they're put into. It shouldn't take much EQing to get a thick sounding rhythm tone.

You also seem to think there's something inherently wrong with passive pickups. Let me guess, you've never tried a decent set of them? Bare Knuckle, APC, Lundgren, WCR, etc. There's plenty of passive pickups that have as much output, clarity, and tightness as an EMG 81, and often sound much bigger. The 81 is not a very thick sounding pickup. Passive pickups also have the advantage of coil splitting and thus can cover a wider range of music styles with a single guitar, which is great for someone who plays more than just metal. My best guess is you have mostly been in contact with lower end basswood Ibanez guitars with horrible stock pickups, and that's why you've formed the opinion you have, and I'd agree with it if I had only played the same guitars. If you like mahogany guitars with the EMG 81/85 set, then you'd easily be satisfied with a mahogany Ibanez with the same set. It's all about knowing what kind of wood and pickups produce the sound you like. Pretty simple if you ask me...

I'm a guitarist before I'm an engineer so :kickass: I'm on your side, although this post was a bit brutal :lol:

Maybe I'll borrow some guitars next week and put up a shoot-out...

I'm a guitarist before I'm an engineer so :kickass: I'm on your side, although this post was a bit brutal :lol:

Maybe I'll borrow some guitars next week and put up a shoot-out...

Haha, yeah... it's hard not to throw a few cheapshots when they were thrown at you first. I really don't mean to be an asshole though. Just trying to offer my point of view, because I think there are probably a bunch of people who agree with me and just didn't say anything beforehand...

Just to insert my grain of salt (frenchized expression heheh), I got a Ibanez RG1527.
I changed the stock bridge pickup for a SD JB SH4-7 and I sounds really good.
The guitar sounds really good and RESONATE (if that made sense) all together, neck and body. I got a great feeling playing with that guitar. I don't have any recording for you to hear but in july I will have the occasion to compare it (while recording) with a Jackson COW 7 with a emg707.

But as mentioned Oz, he is only firing down 6's Ibby with stock pickups and small jauges, and that's true they sounds pretty thin. I owned a RG470 with ibanez pickups for years and the guitar had not so much balls.

Oz, I was thinking, maybe the dudes that have brought in the Ibanez guitars to track are the sort of light handed Steve Vai kids who can make any guitar sound thin... Most of the solid rhythm guys I know are attracted to fixed bridge guitars because they have no need for a tremelo and the sound that comes out of your guitar has a lot more to do with technique than it does with anything else... If you have some limp wristed meedly meedly lead playing kid coming in to track rhythms, he's probably gonna sound weak and thin through any gear... I played in a band with a guy like that once and I tracked all of the rhythms on our recordings and they sounded just as thick and chunky whether I was using his Ibanez RG350DX or my Jackson neck through fixed bridge all mahogany SLSMG.

Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve was Ibanez and Dual Recto and that doesn't sound thin and weak to me...

Regardless Oz, you get absolutely killer tones doing things the way you do and I'm always blown away whenever I hear something new so :kickass: I've liked the higher end Schecters I've played as well as the nicer Ibanez's I've played, but at the end of the day, it's going to sound like me playing guitar no matter what guitar I'm using (within reason, if you give me a Telecaster with stock pickups and an AC30 I'm gonna have a hard time getting through Future Breed Machine without laughing...)