Question about Ibanez guitars

Nov 11, 2013
I have been looking around at Ibanez guitars, I seen this older model that received a ton of great reviews. It is the Ibanez RG770DX.

It's a cool looking guitar with a thin neck and from what I read, sought after.

It's hard to find these guitars for sale and even more difficult to find a mint one, there are just a couple on ebay and both have cracks in the neck by the trem nut, seems typical for that wizard 3 neck.

Anyways, is there anything comparable to this model that is easier to locate? I do want a maple fretboard.

Here is a pic of one, thanks!

latest

If the price is right don't let the crack in the wizard scare you, I have an 87 rg550 its been cracked since '89 lol. It has no stability issuses and never has. Pretty much EVERY wizard 1 is cracked there. The original wizrd is the finest shred neck ever. I wish my les paul had that profile.

I have had many Ibanez wizard necks...mostly the original wizard (super thin). None are or were cracked. The crack comes from the guitar falling or people over tightening the nut screws on the back of the neck. That is not to say that there are not instances were they just crack... but I am doubtful.

A better solution to over-tightening the screws for the nut is use of lock washers. Ibanez used to supply these with the wizard necks and stopped at some point.

Another common issue is for the neck joint (block heel) to crack the finish on the body. I am not sure if this is preventable, but have not experience any problems as a result of this issue. The newer AANJ type do not seem to crack.

Also, depending on which model you get, you may want to consider locking screw for the trem posts. Once again, Ibanez used to include these and then stopped. Newest models have brought these screws back as a part of the stock guitar. You can buy the screws if you do not have them.

Also worth noting is there are original models and re-issues of the RG770DX. The reissue has some structural "improvements". If I remember correctly, the reissue's frets were not finished very well. Though obviously this is something that can be corrected.

Edit: http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg770dx.htm

Edit 2: Original - No neck crack. Little rough, but here is one on the bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-RG77...366445?hash=item4af9e8d86d:g:ES0AAOSwx-9W0Qcj

BTW... I realize this thread is a little old. But thought it would be good to provide some information.

Last edited: