Am I the only guy who hates Ibanez?

I trust that Oz would try to get the best tone he could with the Ibanez without taking up to much of his time and be honest about it. That is if he would be willing to do it.
:err:

Yeah, it was called the "Dreams Destruction" album.... ugh. Good band, great vocalists, crappy basswood Ibanez. Even with an 81 in the bridge, I had to reamp it about six times before I got something usable out of it. After that record, I got a Schecter for studio use & haven't looked back since.

-0z-

Hmmm. My mahogony Ibanez S with a Duncan JB is the finest sounding guitar I've played to date. I initially used EMGs but I like the JB better for the style of music I play.

Yeah, it was called the "Dreams Destruction" album.... ugh. Good band, great vocalists, crappy basswood Ibanez. Even with an 81 in the bridge, I had to reamp it about six times before I got something usable out of it. After that record, I got a Schecter for studio use & haven't looked back since.

-0z-

You know, that tone doesn't sound that bad really. Could be a bit more brutal sounding but still...
I guess it was a matter of getting the right amp settings and mic placement?
I can understand though that the trouble and time you had to take to get it just isn't worth it for you.
You did a good job imo.

Dino came to mind with his Ibanez and Blackouts and Divine Heresy tone which I think sounds pretty great. I know others here will disagree.
Basswood body.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/artists/interviews/dino_cazares_of/

These quotes are taken from the link above. I found it rather interesting.

"Tell us about the main guitar you’re currently using.
I’ve played Ibanez® 7-strings for 11 years now because they make the best 7-string guitars. All of my guitars are made out of lightweight mahogany, but the main guitar I’m recording with happens to be made out of basswood. It has a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

Which Duncan pickups are you using?
I have prototype 7-string AHB-1 Blackouts active humbuckers, which I got while I was already in the middle of making the record. They came just in time!

Wow! All I did was turn the amp’s volume down a hair, set the levels to record, and then tracked right away with them—the same day I put them in. I didn’t change any of the other amp settings for the highs, mids or lows. Everything was right where I wanted it. We’re in the mixing process now, and I noticed that a lot of the tones I would usually have to add to make my sound a little fuller are already there on the tracks I recorded with the Blackouts."

I think ibanez guitars for sure can sound good, but they are so god daaaaamn ugly in general.
Petruccis gtrs in the early 90's and Steve Vais gtrs hahaha man thoose guitars are so f*king ugly hahaha hilarious

As a bassist, I'm not sure about the electric guitar side of Ibanez, but I definitely love the bass range they have. Even the GSR200 is good when in the right hands and with a bit of sansamp love.

As I already said in another thread, I used to own an Ibanez S 540 (mahogany body) with EMG's, and sold it for an LTD EC-1000 just after finishing recording my band's new EP. I actually liked the Ibanez for leads, speed picking and stuff like that, loved the ultra thin neck, but for "heavy as fuck" rhythms it just couldn't do it, it sounded "cold" and thin, my LTD just blows it away... and now I just want to re-record everything!!! And it looked pretty sexy, too!

I must respectfully disagree, at least in my experience. I have an ESP MH1000. Both the ESP and Ibanez are Mahogany and the Ibanez plays better and is thicker/better in tone.

And what do you guys think about Ibanez Universe 7 strings? I own one, IMHO it's a good guitar. But I'd like to try a 7 strings ESP to compare...

Ibanez makes 7s that are just as good for much less money - grab a used 742* or 762* if you have to have an Ibanez 7 - but ESP and Schecter win at 7s. I might not go for the maple-bodied things like the SC607 myself, but they're much more affordable and very well built.

Jeff

i don't think you can really lump the brand into on category

the RG's and S series that a lot of guys love aren't made for metal rhythm playing IMO, so i would agree with you on that...those guitars are great for what they are, but i wouldn't record heavy riffs with them

now if you get into something like the SZ, artist, or iceman models you've got a whole different animal there...a good set neck iceman can be a total rhythm machine with some decent pickups

i also really love their 7 strings....the nicer ones anyhow

I love my Ibanez RG3120 prestige jobbys, theres a few players that also use them - Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore (originally), Joe Sach, Dragonforce....etc

The only other fiddle I'd consider would be a Gibson or Schecter