About to buy a keyboard controller

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
I'm thinking about the M-audio Axiom 49.

http://www.thomann.de/fr/maudio_axiom_49_advanced.htm

49 notes is fine for me (I am no pianist), controlling most basic commands Cubase seems to be possible, pads are a plus, mod wheel a must, price is just right cause I don't want to spend a fortune on it...

Anything I should know before taking the plunge?

I've never been very fond of anything M-Audio makes, but people seem to be happy with the Axioms... That being said, I've used one several times and didn't really like the feel of it. It's got some cool features, but the keys just felt cheap to me.

I use a little Alesis QX25 at home that I really like. Best thing about it is, it works off of a generic USB driver that's built into Mac OS and Windows, which means you don't have to rely on Alesis to keep supporting it years from now.

Alternatively, I went to Guitar Center the other day and tried out a bunch of MIDI keyboards and was actually quite impressed by the Samson Graphite line. Great feeling keys and tons of features.

Both of the ones I mentioned are cheaper in 49-key configuration than the M-Audio is - Just something to look into ;)

I've used the Axiom Pro 69 for EVER. I recently sold it and got a cheap USB midi controller with 4 pads 49 keys and a mod wheel. The M-audio actually feels good to me. I'm no pianist but my girls mom is, she teaches the Suzuki method at the University of Miami and for her home studio she has an axiom pro. It's not going to feel like a concert grand but it is semi weighted and feels really responsive. -So Take this into consideration.

I used mine for

1) auditioning synths (keys) layering them hitting certain notes before others playing them together -Something that's impossible to do on a piano roll. (Quickly audition and layer notes hearing how notes sound coming right on top and before) Sometimes depending on the program you use hitting notes right after a note is being played and then adding another one on top changes the way the synth moves. I leaned this on Pro tools structure and knew I needed Keys. Lol hope I didn't lose you there

2) Auditioning Drums (Pads) A MUST.
Keys are never as responsive -or (at-least supposed to be) as pads in this reguard and the axiom/Pro pads are great!

Yes you can use it as a control surface but... I sold mine cause I use the presonus fader port way more. Almost always more and I figured hey Id get a cheap Midi Controller with pads now that I have a partial control surface type piece.

I was Right/Wrong. as much as I don't "Miss" the keys per say, It is a bit annoying having to manually move velocity hits on the piano roll synths/strings/piano Etc. Cause a cheapy charlie Midi controller wont be sensitively responsive -At least not like the axiom.
Also I reallllly miss those pads. The pads on my Midi are Garbage! most low end controllers are..I didn't know this ..:bah: should have Lol.

I miss opening up for example Slate drums and hitting the softest hit of a snare to the crack. For the low end market of Midi its either super low hit or hardest. Sucks. I miss playing drums on it Overall it was worth the sell cause the fader port hands Most of my needs but maybe in the future when money is NOT so much of an issue i'll get a better one.

Something to consider Burny - Good luck!

I hope I'm not jacking, if I am I apologize.

I'm in the same boat and was actually looking at the same controller to replace a piece of shit Keyrig 49.

Although my question is...would something like the korg padKontrol be better then the axiom 49 to control drum software?

I have an Axiom 25 and have no complaints about it. I'd imagine my uses are similar to what you plan on using yours for (synths, drums with the pads, using the modwheel for automation, etc.). I say do it!

I just got a Novation Impulse 49 key controller. Its very similar to the axiom except it has automap which automatically maps controlls for you in all major DAWs and plug ins. So far I really like this controller. It has semi weighted keys, drum pads, fader and knob controls. I would check it out. I got a B stock model from sweetwater for 250 bucks.

I have the Axiom Pro 49. Never given me any problems other than the USB power jack being a little loose (cheap build quality).

Keys feel good enough to me, but I don't really use any of the extra features of the controller. I've heard some of the Novation keyboards have better feeling keys and are cheaper. Selling it and replacing it with one of those is on my "to do" list, but not a huge priority.

Basically, it will probably work for you just fine, but there may be cheaper & better options out there.

The pads are not all that useful by the way. I bought mine thinking I would use the pads to tap on, but I almost never use them.

One thing I like about the Axiom is that the newer one (MKII) have the direct link thing with pre-mapped controls.

I don't intend to use the pads a lot. It's just one of those things that are not very useable but fun to have.

I've checked the Novation stuff but they're generally more pricey from what I've seen.