Abruptum; MOST EVIL band on the face of this planet? Damn straight! o_O

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
What are some of your picks for most "evil" music ever written?

I myself have looked many places, and sure you have some evil music here and there even in bands like Emperor, Arcturus, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, and the list goes on, BUT...

...geez, they ALL pale in comparison to THE band - Abruptum.

Why do I say this now? I have just, yet again, listened to THE song in which I haven't heard in the longest time now. After coming back to it, I have revisited HELL, to put it quite simply. Yes, listening to this song is like a fucking 6 min trip through hell - maybe worse than hell, but man, it's truly good stuff.

No, don't think Darkthrone or any kind of Black Metal band along those lines. We're talking pure, sophisticated EVIL here! Music that isn't raw in that sense but in rather above-average production, that will surely bring shivers down your spine. Heck, I know I got 'em....seriously, this shit's downright fucking creepy. I think the mellower, "organ" stuff is what creeped me out moreso than the heavier stuff. The musicianship, while phenomenal, is like an anthem for the devil. Jesus, if you're in some forgotten, dark temple and blaze this on, I think it'll give you eternal nightmares.

Yes, Abruptum...great band, but damn, isn't something I'd play on a regular basis.

Pure....fucking....EVIL band.

I really think there's NO arguing this.

If anyone dares to check some of this out, go here: (the nice intro is cut-off on this sight from the version I have on the NORDIC METAL compilation: tribute to Euronymous.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=68210705

Dim down the lights, blaze this as loud as you can and enjoy. This track has some amazing ambience and atmosphere. And, it's all horrific.

My fave in particular is the track "De Profundis Mors Vas Cousumet." *shiver* God damn those vocals...is he possessed by the demon or something? I SWEAR he is!!! No wonder a past band member fleed in terror to the nearest church - shit, I know i'd do the same thing.

i aint play this said:
You will learn a lot more about evil if you listen to Akercocke and Blut Aus Nord, but this is just my opinion.

Akercocke? I'm sorry but I think they're totally out of the competition. On the other hand, the nightmare that is Blut Aus Nord has some truly genuine and sophisticated atmosphere. Alcapoth, you must check them out!!!

Also, as illidurit mentionned, check out Xasthur. I would also add Leviathan to the list.

Akercocke's music sets a very convincing evil atmosphere, not a cliche band by any means, you hear they have many different influences, like darkwave, prog rock, death/thrash...it is fucking sick, the sad/obscene/mysterious vibe they create is very sophisticated, it has a soundtrack-ish quality to it IMO.

i aint play this said:
Akercocke's music sets a very convincing evil atmosphere, not a cliche band by any means, you hear they have many different influences, like darkwave, prog rock, death/thrash...it is fucking sick, the sad/obscene/mysterious vibe they create is very sophisticated, it has a soundtrack-ish quality to it IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I love the band but they're far from frightening, at least to me. Most of the time, it feels like a well crafted black/death trash band mixed with proggy passages. They don't create genuine, unhealthy soundscape like Abruptum or BAN. It's simply not what I get from their music.

Man In Black said:
That was actually pretty funny.

Wtf? If you're referring to Abruptum, then that is utter blasphemy right there. Listen to the song by yourself late at night and i'm sure you'll think otherwise. Nothing compares.

The outro is just downright unsettling.

And thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sadguru (btw, the BEST fucking avatar I have seen thus far!!! creepy...), since I have held your opinion so highly over the years, I'll take your word for it and check them out. Somehow and some way.

Metal_wrath: I'm glad you enjoyed. Were you referring to the second song on the site at 2:31? Because with that track, it's all good imo. The mellow parts are creepy, building tension to the RAGE that is to follow. And like stated earlier, the conclusion to the song is perfect and haunting.

Alcapoth said:
Wtf? If you're referring to Abruptum, then that is utter blasphemy right there. Listen to the song by yourself late at night and i'm sure you'll think otherwise. Nothing compares.

The outro is just downright unsettling.
The music is mediocre and the vocals are just down right hilarious.

Sadguru said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the band but they're far from frightening, at least to me. Most of the time, it feels like a well crafted black/death trash band mixed with proggy passages. They don't create genuine, unhealthy soundscape like Abruptum or BAN. It's simply not what I get from their music.

I understand totally what you mean, but there is something about Akercocke that really gets me, not that it is exactly frightening/scary, but the mood is heavy, the music inserts scenarios in my mind, it makes me dive into something really weird...fucking coolness. And, yeah, Blut Aus Nord are an awesome nightmarish bliss.

Alcapoth said:
Metal_wrath: I'm glad you enjoyed. Were you referring to the second song on the site at 2:31? Because with that track, it's all good imo. The mellow parts are creepy, building tension to the RAGE that is to follow. And like stated earlier, the conclusion to the song is perfect and haunting.
Hahahaa, no, everything I said was in humor. Actually I thought the song was unusually dark sounding and evil, especially the organs. But I must say sometimes the vocalist sounded wierd screaming, in a comical way.:)

catfight!!!.jpg

i aint play this said:
I understand totally what you mean, but there is something about Akercocke that really gets me, not that it is exactly frightening/scary, but the mood is heavy, the music inserts scenarios in my mind, it makes me dive into something really weird...fucking coolness. And, yeah, Blut Aus Nord are an awesome nightmarish bliss.

Yep, I hear ya!

Alcapoth said:
And thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sadguru (btw, the BEST fucking avatar I have seen thus far!!! creepy...), since I have held your opinion so highly over the years, I'll take your word for it and check them out. Somehow and some way.

Man, thanks for the comments. I must say, your new signature is fucking brilliant. The best I've seen in a long time, hands down.

Back on Abruptum, is there a particular album you would recommend?
Between, if you look for Blut Aus Nord stuff, I suggest their last full length "The Work Which Transforms God".