Absolutely NEED SOME COMPUTER GURUS

To format and use the drive for future use you will need to choose convert to dynamic disc and then you can create a partition on that dynamic disc and use it from there.

NSGUITAR, please do not convert it to a dynamic disk, that is for RAID storage... I don't know too much about it as I'll never use it but I'm pretty sure it uses a different form of partitioning and it'll fuck you over.

In order to give your drive a letter if you're still struggling try the following;

- Open Disk Management
- Right click on the disk you're trying to give a letter and mark it as active
- Format to NTFS or ExFAT (if it doesn't have a format and it's empty that is)

If that doesn't work or you can't figure it out drop me an email at benrhysjenkins@googlemail.com it'll be easier than posting here all the time. I can also help you with data recovery.

Didn't read all the thread but if you want Windows to even 'see' your drive on the Disk Management list, it must be recognized by the BIOS first (might take some BIOS configuring and several restarts).

Didn't read all the thread but if you want Windows to even 'see' your drive on the Disk Management list, it must be recognized by the BIOS first (might take some BIOS configuring and several restarts).

It's being recognised, just hasn't got a letter.

dm02.jpg

Just right-click on the drive, up on the list. Option should appear.

EDIT_Ah ok, but again, that has happened to me also, and IIRC it was a matter of the BIOS not recognizing the drives properly first.

NSGUITAR, do you have access to a mac with SL or Lion? I just thought of something that'll 99.9999999% fix it.

Basically when you don't eject a disc it will damage the sectors and you will have a dirty disk. In order to fix this do the following;

- Plug the drive into a mac
- Once the drive has popped up on the desktop run Disk Utility
- Highlight the drive in Disk Utility and click Repair Disk, this will then find the bad sectors and 'heal' them.

I've actually had this problem a lot myself.

Again if this doesn't fix it, simply drop me an email and I'm sure if you have Skype we can sort it out via screen-share so I can see what's going on.

EDIT_Ah ok, but again, that has happened to me also, and IIRC it was a matter of the BIOS not recognizing the drives properly first.

If it is an external then the BIOS wouldn't need to recognise it on boot, but yeah for an internal it could happen I guess.

On second thought, when I had that same bad sectors problem (I think it was then) that I used this program to recover all the info:

easeus-drw-pro.jpg

Worked like a charm.

+10 years ago I took another defective drive with all my un-backed sequences to a very reputed ''expert''.. threatened to charge me some $1000-$2000 for the recovery, and ended up tearing the drive apart (without me agreeing to it, he just decided to do that) and then tossing it in the trash..

No more experts or techs for me, thank you.

NSGUITAR, please do not convert it to a dynamic disk, that is for RAID storage... I don't know too much about it as I'll never use it but I'm pretty sure it uses a different form of partitioning and it'll fuck you over.

In order to give your drive a letter if you're still struggling try the following;

- Open Disk Management
- Right click on the disk you're trying to give a letter and mark it as active
- Format to NTFS or ExFAT (if it doesn't have a format and it's empty that is)

If that doesn't work or you can't figure it out drop me an email at benrhysjenkins@googlemail.com it'll be easier than posting here all the time. I can also help you with data recovery.

I think you only get dynamic disk as an option because its such a large sized drive.

NSGUITAR, do you have access to a mac with SL or Lion? I just thought of something that'll 99.9999999% fix it.

Basically when you don't eject a disc it will damage the sectors and you will have a dirty disk. In order to fix this do the following;

- Plug the drive into a mac
- Once the drive has popped up on the desktop run Disk Utility
- Highlight the drive in Disk Utility and click Repair Disk, this will then find the bad sectors and 'heal' them.

I've actually had this problem a lot myself.

Again if this doesn't fix it, simply drop me an email and I'm sure if you have Skype we can sort it out via screen-share so I can see what's going on.

It wont pop up on the desktop if its not formatted, but it may be repairable in disk utility if it shows up there, either way i think you are too far gone already because of the woman who deleted the partition/reformatted!

So, just try one of the data recovery programs like i said in my last post and ignore all this BS about trying to save the disks previous state you are too far gone now unfortunatley.

I think you only get dynamic disk as an option because its such a large sized drive.

It wont pop up on the desktop if its not formatted, but it may be repairable in disk utility if it shows up there, either way i think you are too far gone already because of the woman who deleted the partition/reformatted!

So, just try one of the data recovery programs like i said in my last post and ignore all this BS about trying to save the disks previous state you are too far gone now unfortunatley.

True, but if it still appears in OS X you can just repair it and it should work fine.

And yes you get dynamic disk when they are large, because you typically use RAID with numerous large disks for server like storage. Dynamic disk gives a disk like 2000 partitions or something and you can connect different disks together (Basically RAID 0)

True, but if it still appears in OS X you can just repair it and it should work fine.

And yes you get dynamic disk when they are large, because you typically use RAID with numerous large disks for server like storage. Dynamic disk gives a disk like 2000 partitions or something and you can connect different disks together (Basically RAID 0)

You are completely missing my point on both counts,

Firstly he doesn't give a fuck if he can repair the current disk partition or not he has already lost his data because some bitch already zero'd his partition that contained the data his only option now is to format the disk so that it's mountable on an OS then use some data recovery software in the OS to see if there is anything salvageable still there under the hood,

Secondly I know what you can use a dynamic disc for my point is he only has the choice to convert to dynamic disk because it's such a large size , if it were a smaller drive he would maybe have other choices but it's not, so he doesn't , so dynamic disc is all he can go with ,

You are completely missing my point on both counts,

Firstly he doesn't give a fuck if he can repair the current disk partition or not he has already lost his data because some bitch already zero'd his partition that contained the data his only option now is to format the disk so that it's mountable on an OS then use some data recovery software in the OS to see if there is anything salvageable still there under the hood,

Secondly I know what you can use a dynamic disc for my point is he only has the choice to convert to dynamic disk because it's such a large size , if it were a smaller drive he would maybe have other choices but it's not, so he doesn't , so dynamic disc is all he can go with ,

Calm down man, I was just offering my 2c if he still had a disk with that issue.

Also I was just explaining that there is no point whatsoever using dynamic as it'll end up biting your ass in the future. There are easier fixes.