Achieving "Sneap-ish" snare sound

The sample's good, but it needs some variety when it's sequenced. Quick rolls (like the one at 0:04) don't sound all that convincing when you're using just one static sample; it's got sort of an Aphex Twin thing going on- a stuttering sound- which I imagine you don't want. Perhaps make a few different copies of the sample, pitch shift some up a bit and some down a bit (just a few cents max), and use a gentle low-pass filter on certain ones. The hard hits can have no filtering, but the softer you want the hit to sound, the more highs you should roll off. Nothing crazy, just enough to add some darkness to the "softer" hits. The key is to not have two consecutive hits be exactly the same, and varying pitch and filter frequency is a good way to get this effect if you're only using one sample.
If you're using NI's Battery, there's a modulation matrix where you can assign any midi data to affect any of the parameters. For instance, you can assign "Velocity" to affect the cutoff and/or resonance of a low-pass filter, thus automatically making hits with lower velocities sound softer/darker. You can also set Velocity to affect pitch; harder hits will be slightly higher tuned. Or you could use an LFO to modulate pitch so that each sample will be tuned ever-so-slightly different, making them sound like different hits. There's all sorts of stuff you can do here, and all with just one sample (a lot of samplers have some sort of mod matrix, but I'm just using Battery as an example because it's the one I know inside and out). If you keep it subtle, it can sound pretty convincing. Good luck, let us know how you progress!

on the compressor, try bringing the to about -34, the ratio down to around 4ish, attack up to at least say 24, release around 91 or so, and then boost around 3k and between 125 and 250. thats made it sound more convincing to me anyways./

Oh thanks so much guys, I'll try re-tweaking it :D with comp settings suggested and well I really didn't know that in battery you could do that with just one sample, great I'm gonna work on it!
The track is the the midi of "War is my shepherd" by exodus loaded in battery.
This forum always rocks :) thanks again

Maurizio

Sounds way too machine gun / drum machiney to me. The sample is very unrealistic because it is the EXACT same hit over and over again - this is why you need velo switched samps. The snares in Superior are very very kick ass, the sonor, haake custom and a few of the pearls are aces.

EtherForBreakfast said:
Sounds way too machine gun / drum machiney to me. The sample is very unrealistic because it is the EXACT same hit over and over again - this is why you need velo switched samps. The snares in Superior are very very kick ass, the sonor, haake custom and a few of the pearls are aces.

Ok the drum track is really fake, but what about the sample?
From the first shitty sample to the other one, I think I improved it a little bit.
I need help about comp eq etc etc, I know that's a really fake drum, fortunately I have a real man playing in my band, so in the future I think I'm gonna use this sample on the triggered snare, a 50/50 mix would be ok

Maurizio