A new recording

I helped a friend of mine recording some tracks.
I ended up with this.
I didn't mix that much, just some eq and comp on drums.
Maybe Oh's are a little bit louder. And snare quiter, I can't get that fucking snare loud :cry:
I just replaced the kick with a sample, the rest is natural.

Maurizio

Maurizio, is not bad, but yes the snare is thin...replace it with a good sample.
The kick have a very natural sound.
The ride is a little thin.
Try to mix the drum better and you will get a lot better sound.for my taste you have the charly a little louder.

Hey tachy the thing is that I can't get a louder snare no matter how I compress it ....
Every time I try to do a mix the snare is always thin, I have to lower guitars and bass then I got a weak mix that even when mastering doesn't sound loud as it should be. If I solo the snare, the sound is really good.
For snare I followed all Andy's advices found on www.ilovemetal.co.uk
but the snare it's not loud, I can boost the volume but then it would clip.
Drums are a bitch to mix!
anyway it was a very fast mix, nothing serious, when I'll finish all tracks and bass I'll do a better mix.
for the kick I have done a 50/50 mix (natural/sample) so that thing sounds real.

Tachy said:
Maurizio, is not bad, but yes the snare is thin...replace it with a good sample.
The kick have a very natural sound.
The ride is a little thin.
Try to mix the drum better and you will get a lot better sound.for my taste you have the charly a little louder.

i don'want to hijack the hread but . . .Aria Giovanni rules . and damn that john 5.

Maurizio, try to hear the all the drums without the charly, an then whit the charly.if you have boosted the high frequency in the charly, this probably affect the sound of snare.
Tell me the number of mic you used to record the drums.

Tachy said:
Maurizio, try to hear the all the drums without the charly, an then whit the charly.if you have boosted the high frequency in the charly, this probably affect the sound of snare.
Tell me the number of mic you used to record the drums.

Used just 7 mics.
There's no a mic on the hihat, I used a pair of overheads for all cymbals,
Snare is miced just on top! the problem is I can lower the volume on the rest of the kit, but I'll get a very quiter sound and I think mastering can't do a miracle on this.
Maybe I can compress Overhead a little bit.... not too much, I wanna keep a wide stereo image.

If I am reading things it sounds you are not leaving youself enough head room when mixing. I think you need to shoot for some lower numbers and worry about overall volume later. If you are clipping when you are trying to turn the snare up then there is something worng. Also try cutting some key spots in the guitars to let the snare come through.

Hi Maurì!!!

You need to put more tension on the snare skin to my opinion and then go with the flow with some reverb!!! Use the non-linear in the Reinassance reverb RVerb!!!

Ci sentiamo poi che ti faccio sentire le prime canzoni dei Coolfusion!

Seems like the whole mix is lacking a bit of high end. It not too bad for the guitars, but the drums (close mics and OH's) could definately use some brightness.
Close mic'd drums: add a bit more high end. Sounld solve your snare problem and have the toms snapping through a bit more. The kick is also in need of some snap.
OH's- Try to lower the high pass, i think you went too high. DEFINATELY compress them too. You wont have to do it alot, just a bit to get the levels a bit nicer so they sit better in the mix.

You wont need "tons" of twaeking, a bit will work. Just AB to your favourite mix and go from there i guess. Good luck