Acoustic Drums for Metal: A Guide

Yea thats an awesome Idea Glenn!! I am really impressed which effort you put in this topic!! I am looking forward to watching the videos! :worship:

Holy leprosy-fuck! Big thanx to Glenn for insightful and straight-to-the-point info and knowledge, and to all others who have contributed to this thread.

The video idea is awesome, can't wait to see it!

Well, reading this thread has been VERY helpfull

Thank you very much, Glenn (and others that chimed in with methods, suggestions and corrections).

Hi, guyz!

I tried to read all the Glenn's guide as carefully as I could, but anyway.
I'm sorry if the following question has already been answered, what's feather pillow for? Into kick drum for absorbing function?

Thanks,
Denis

Hi there, firstly let me say this thread is awesome and I've learned a lot from reading it in its entirety, and applying the techniques: My kick and snare sound way better :D

But, I am struggling with mixing my Toms. 'Rolling thunder' was mentioned somewhere along the way as a preference for tone: I quite agree. But my Toms sound like, well, Toms. On a cheapish kit. In a bedroom, albeit a fairly well treated one. A bit rock'n'roll in other words. Obviously the important focus has been Kick and Snare but with the right compression and EQ (cut, cut, cut!) I've nailed this... But Toms... Any help please?

Now assuming I miked them up individually as well as there being the (maybe usable, maybe filter-out-able) leakage through the overheads, and the core tone and recording is actually pretty decent, well, does anyone have any suggestions on how I would make them sound either (or both) a) tight and punchy and aggressive, almost explosive and a bit more snare like even. Or b) deep and threatening with guts and power.

I'm asking this both in a theoretical sense (to learn as much as i can for different situation) and with regard to a specific recording where I want explosive crazy metal toms... well, or as close as possible.

I've tried individually compressing and EQing each Tom but I'm lost. I cant figure out if I should squish everything separately or not, if I should try to cut away low end or high or give each Tom an EQ space in which to exist my cutting away overlaps from each, gate the heck out of each one to chop off the tails, use a gated reverb on the each or a pitch shift octave thingy or, well... I just can't get it!! I've even tried distorting each Tom so.... Help!

Just mixing a metal record with zero samples and editing on it.....
that just reminded me of something I wanted to mention in this threead:
when you're working without any samples you'll usually have to mix the guits, bass etc a bit different than you normally would.
you'll probably have to carve out more low mids etc to create more space for the drums, else the drums will sound a bit small and the whole mix will be a bit wooly.
listen to albums with loads of natural drums on them (the haunted, In Flames etc, many of Bergstrand's works), you'll find that the guitars seem thinner when they're solo'd, but everything works in the mix.
it's easier to make sampled drums cut through than natural drums, and in order to get a good natural drumsound you'll have to make space in the guitars/bass and sometimes even vocals

Just read through this thread in it's entirety today. Probably about the 5th time I've done so. Always good to refresh my memory as there's some seriously good stuff in here.
Can't wait to see the video's!

I've got the first episode rough cut & the voiceover done as well. It's a 6 minute clip on basic tuning. Hopefully I'll have it online in the next day or two.