Acoustic shows - opinions?

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
As you all know, I value the opinion of our forum regulars very much indeed so I thought I'd throw this out as a discussion.

What are you thoughts on acoustic/unplugged tours?

I noticed Blaze Bayley is undertaking such a thing in September this year and many other artists/bands have done similar in recent times.

As metal fans, what do you think of this kind of thing? Is it something that would interest you?

I love acoustic shows but the songs have to be adapted to suit the format. I remember seeing Blaze opening for Kip Winger on his acoustic solo tour. Blaze was singing his songs as if he was backed by a full electric band! It was funny but wrong at the same time. When I think of great acoustic performances I think of Tesla, Alice In Chains, Savatage, Queensryche and Pearl Jam.

I think a lot of Power Quest songs would suit the acoustic format, especially having Chity on board. Just remember to tweak it to make it special. Sometimes completely rearranging a song has made the acoustic version superior to my ears. I'm thinking of Threshold - Life Flow, Vanden Plas - Days Of Thunder and Poverty's No Crime - Access Denied. The acoustic versions are to die for!

Instinctively, no but that's not to say it can't work/be very enjoyable/suitable. As a metal lover my ear very much favours the electric guitar and all the distortion, galloping and shredding that entails - that's a large part of my live experience but again that's not to say I don't love or appreciate acoustic guitar. It would fit a good few PQ songs but then there are some which I think it mightn't.

Of course, assuming chosen songs can stand a rearrangement for an acoustic style; I wouldn't suppose some songs can nor rearranged necessarily for the better. But of course it's speculation and I'd save judgement for how it sounded.

Instinctively, no but that's not to say it can't work/be very enjoyable/suitable. As a metal lover my ear very much favours the electric guitar and all the distortion, galloping and shredding that entails - that's a large part of my live experience but again that's not to say I don't love or appreciate acoustic guitar. It would fit a good few PQ songs but then there are some which I think it mightn't.

The above describes my exact thoughts on the matter also. Cheers Dom!

Many thanks for the feedback as always....good to hear your opinions.

Just to clarify though......this wasn't really intended as a "PQ unplugged" kind of deal, more an exploration of the concept in general....which is something I may pursue in the future, but not under the PQ banner

I'm in the "the songs need to be adapted carefully" camp. I love acoustic shows when done properly and performed well.

I've nothing against acoustic shows (check out Rodrigo y Gabrielle) but power metal gigs are still so few and far between
In the UK that I think I'd feel like I was missing something if one of my favourite bands did an acoustic only show. Maybe an acoustic side project would be ok but personally I would always prefer an electric gig.

An acoustic set in the middle of the set to get the band a break. But if they did a full acoustic set, it would be a first time for a Power Metal band and who better than Power Quest to do it! Or has it already been done by the likes of Angra?

It depends on a variety of things:

A) The artist
B) If the songs can/do work acoustically
C) How the songs are arranged (I've heard many a classic ruined through outlandish arrangement)

So to answer you Stevey boy, I can't!

I agree with what most people have said here, very much depends on the band and how well they are able to interpret the songs acoustically. I hate it when bands play/sing "acoustically" with no real effort to adapt the songs or make them different.