Added another song to our myspace

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Just added the title track to Artificial...uhh..."Artificial" :lol:.

Check it out if you want. www.myspace.com/theskylab

This has become my favorite song of ours...really groovy in places and then just explodes like grindcore after a bit.

Love it or hate it, feedback would be nice! :)

I like this.

It reminds me of a band I used to be into a while ago called ...And Oceans. Not sure if they exist anymore.

Actually this sounds like a combination of that band's early and later albums with a more progressive feel overall.

good stuff.

I like this.

It reminds me of a band I used to be into a while ago called ...And Oceans. Not sure if they exist anymore.

Actually this sounds like a combination of that band's early and later albums with a more progressive feel overall.

good stuff.

...and oceans is amazing, i still listen to those guys. "tears have no name" is good.

and of course skylab rocks

Good stuff. Skylab rocks. This is the kind of stuff I record nowadays too. Nothing far enough along to show, but soon. SOON.

Fuck, you guys are good. I remember now you were gonna give me your album but I was too high to remember what happened.

<3 Skylab. You and Will are the only people on this board who have good bands. Oh, and Kevin.

Wow, thanks guys! DarkNoise, it's funny you mention Samael...we're HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Samael fans, but I think it's obvious cuz you can hear it in the music a little more than a tad, haha!

John, just get on messenger or sumpin' and I'll give you all the tracks. Or, if you prefer, Liverslapper's got 'em all as well so he could probably send em to you if you want.

Seriously, guys, I know I'm a doofus on here sometimes and it's all in good fun, but I'm being serious for once. It really does mean a lot that you ppl enjoy this music because we've been working really hard all by ourselves to get this thing to fruition, and it's a big DIY project, as no one else wants to be a part of it or can't be a part of it. I'm singing and playing guitar, but if any of you wanna fly over here and take over vocal duties, be my guest!!!!!

All the credit must go to Emanuele, though. He's the "Vorph" in all of this...it's all his doing. We're writing the new album together now, but in all honesty it's going to be primarily him again. He has this genius vision and I don't want it to be convoluted just so I can have bragging rights or something, so I'm giving him his space to do his thing and I'll offer my input when it's needed.

Man, I hope we can get this thing off the ground.

I still listen to your album on a daily basis. The STORYLINE behind the album is what really makes it so fucking sweet.

John ill send you the album. Christopher I'm still handing around copies of the CD for people to spread around for you, and i still play some tracks while im on air.

And i don't have the bands myspace, it shall be on my top friends list, cause the musix is shexy.

Thweeeeeet!!!!

The storyline is actually 30 pages long!!!! He wrote it all in Italian and I have to translate it.

Here's a not-so-brief synopsis I'll break down for you really quickly:

Mindsystem: Advanced Core is a breakthrough in human and nanotechnology. We are now able to continue the human life indefinitely, provided there is a suitable host. Every single thought, sensation, function, and memory can be stored on a single chip and inserted into a new host at any time. Think of it like Johnny Mnemonic, only without the information smuggling. For the first ten years or so, scientists are testing Army volunteers in a secret laboratory hidden in an undisclosed location in Europe. The first real breakthrough happens after the first few years, which I'll get to now. The team of scientists have finally perfected the method of saving the human mind on a single microchip unique to every person. The host may die and body may break down and decay, but the mind can live on "Forever". "Inside my mind, it will now start...to make me clearly remember forevaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!" There is no soul, no afterlife, no religion; man, or at least the essence of man is now immortal. The retrieval and safe storage of the human mind is complete and is now ready for use in those who choose to take advantage of it, and they shoot for the stars, quite literally. This is where "Goodbye Earth" comes in.

Fast forward a bit. Humankind is now a mutt of humans, prototype cyborgs, and nanotechnology...coexisting for the time being in an uneasy understanding of the other. Just like humans always do, they tend to segregate themselves from those different, and the new prototypes head for a new place, "Bosphorn's Sky Harbour". This is the instrumental of the song. Fast forward a tiny bit, and the cybernetic humans and nanotechnologically modified are now a full-fledged race, deemed "Artificial" by the humans. Here's a lyric from the song: "A gray flame, it burns inside, in veins cold flows liquid fire...weakness of man has been retired. My soul is stored internally, you'll find a man with human dreams, but this silvered heart was not born...it was built." This is the coming of the cyborg race and their rise to power. However, the humans haven't taken kindly to coexisting with cyborgs and have begun a war against the cyborg race. This is "Autosequence of Death", the instrumental war track on the album. Of course, cyborgs have the upper hand and completely annihilate the humans, but not before the humans can carry out their own scorched earth policy of warfare. The aftermath that follows suggests a post-apocalyptic earth, similar to a Terminator scenario or The Animatrix, if you've ever seen that. This is "The Awakening After Destruction" on the album...another instrumental, only synths. Then out of the rubble and ruin remains a few cyborgs and their lament of the destruction of their homeland, due to the war they never wanted. They weren't the perpetrators of the war, they just had the ability to completely annihilate everything in their way...it's in their programming by now. Some are even full-fledged robots and have lost all human contact with themselves. It was just programming. This is the part where "Buried" comes in, and my favorite line of the entire album:

"Fluxor is destroyed, dusted, deserted
My ancient home, is now just a tomb
Through time, through centuries&#8230;
I have buried them all
I have lost them all"

The last song is completely in Italian and is only a whisper spoken behind synths...this is "L'ultimo Pensiero", or "The Last Thought". Then there's the bonus track, Futuresadness, which is completely synth and really, really REALLY sad and melancholy. At this point the cyborg race gathers itself and heads towards the stars in search of others like them (many many many years have passed since the invention of Mindsystem), and this is where our second album will pick up where Artificial left off. I hope it wasn't too boring for you guys...the Cliff's Notes version of the story doesn't really do it justice. The original reads like a fucking film. I think he's actually sending it to a film studio as well. These albums are all conceptual and all tie in with each other in a Star Wars kind of way, where the stories may be completely different but are tied together by a single thread. It's actually more of a soundtrack than an album.

That's good to hear! Thanks! It's not for everyone, and truth be told, it's not a "pure" metal album...it's like heavy industrial with tinges of black metal.

And it's genious work. "The Awakening After Destruction" is sad as well, knowing that all the humans are gone and AI has taken over.

Chris i'll need to get on yahoo sometime in the next few days and talk to you about a few things, mainly about promotion & some cool photoshop/artwork i can design for you guys and stuff. I have the next 2 days off so i'll catch you sometime.

And it's genious work. "The Awakening After Destruction" is sad as well, knowing that all the humans are gone and AI has taken over.

Chris i'll need to get on yahoo sometime in the next few days and talk to you about a few things, mainly about promotion & some cool photoshop/artwork i can design for you guys and stuff. I have the next 2 days off so i'll catch you sometime.

I'll be here, screaming my ass off trying to get my voice ready for live dates with the guitar.

It's really cool that you interpret it in your own way, because our interpretation of The Awakening After Destruction is bittersweet; it's the end of the pure human era, which is sad, but the beginning of a cybernetic era is very exciting to us. We look upon the human race in this like a virus, much like in The Matrix. It makes me so happy that even a few people find enjoyment in the music we play and the story behind it.

By the way, do you want the lyrics to the songs? I can send em to you.