Addictive Drums or BFD2?

BFD is great, just haven't used it much but Addictive Drums takes the win for me out of all the drum libraries available out there. I bought mine for $130 a while ago from a GC promotion, so it's priced very well. The sound quality and random sample rotation is great and very realistic (no need to randomize velocities if you don't want to). It's easy on your computer and has a pretty quick installation. Interface is awesome and very friendly with all DAWs I've used. Heavy tweaking possibilities and a lot of different flavors and presets. I've gotten the perfect drum sound now (I've used EVERYTHING out there) mixed with aptrigga to blend samples on the kick drum (Machine Head kick). I'll try and post a sample a little later of just the drums.

I've tried AD and the impression I got was that it pretty much tries to sound best out-of-the-box. The presets are fun but compressed to hell and the general snare drum sound of AD seems too ringy for my tastes. never tried BFD.

I use Superior Drummer 2.0 and I think it's very good.

I vote for AD. Love my copy, got mine for $99 during some crazy sale at GC a while back.

you didn't mention it, but my vote goes to steven slate drums.

i used to use AD, but i'm not a big fan....the kicks could be tweaked to sound quite good, but i had no luck with the snares....great for rock, but fall short for heavier metal styles IMHO.
also, with SSD you can just drag and drop a regular GM mapped midi file and you're good to go, whereas AD has it's own drum mapping so you have to change stuff around when importing midi drum tracks. not a biggie when programming your own drums in the piano roll obviously.

I love AD. While there aren't as many options to tweak as there are in Superior 2.0 or SSD, it's much simpler and can sound nearly as good in my opinion.

To stick my oar in for BFD2; if you want a wide range of sounds, and the ability to morph your drums into the sound you hear in your head; BFD2 is more capable than Addictive Drums in that regard, I'd say.

Although I do really like AD for breakbeat/drum and bass type stuff.

I think I actually like BFD2 more than Superior 2.0. There is just something about S2.0 that sounds awfully fake to me. I can't point my finger on it (might be the hi-hat or cymbals) but I can notice it in almost every 'rate my mix' demo that uses S2.0. My guess is the sample randomizing as it just doesn't rotate the samples as organically as AD and maybe BFD2 (never noticed it myself).

As for SSD, I feel it's a good pack for producers looking to replace drums but I can't just jam on it and have it sound real. It sounds like you're playing on a nice electric drumset preset rather than an extensive drum sample library. I'll definitely say that the sounds he portrays are VERY accurate but it just can't be compared to S2.0 or AD...apples and oranges in my opinion.

Wait...AD has random sample rotation? How did I overlook this? I've been messin around with it for months and havent noticed. How do you activate it?

It should be activated already unless you have 'Single Sample' highlighted in the Kit section. Round-robin is the common term for random sample rotation...most great sample libraries use this (it's a necessity for me before purchasing a sample library). AD I think uses around 4 or 5 samples in it's rotation bank and thats just per velocity (probably 16 random samples all together).

Here's a video of "Metal Bobby" Jarzombek playing our Joe Barresi Evil Drums for BFD2 (also coming soon for Superior Drummer 2.0)...

Rail

Last edited by a moderator: