Adding artist information to MP3s and CDs?

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
I am new to this, but I am releasing a demo EP and MP3s for distribution for the first time.

I notice when I insert a music CD into my PC, artist info, album cover etc all come up in the media player.

Is this an online database I need to access/create, or is it code on the disk/mp3 itself?

I think it can be one or the other? Don't quote me on that though. When I did my doom ep I tagged the mp3s.

depends, cd text can be done in waveburner; The database that you speak of for cds inserted into itunes etc generally requires a record company account for the imdb

you can register your tracks with CDDB (gracenote) through some audio CD burning softwares. Then everytime someone plays your track in WMP for example the song lengths and wave forms are compared in the CDDB and the album is then recognised.

you can register your tracks with CDDB (gracenote) through some audio CD burning softwares. Then everytime someone plays your track in WMP for example the song lengths and wave forms are compared in the CDDB and the album is then recognised.

Thanks.

What is the cheapest CD burning software for this?

I use Kunaki, I need to check the faqs out for the future. But in the short term I need to self burn a bunch of demos to take to NAMM with me.

pretty sure when your master is burned and you load it into itunes, you can enter the details there then go to "advanced" and then "submit CD track names".

This--you can submit to the CDDB right from iTunes. Put in a copy of your CD, fill out the track names and info, submit.

pretty sure when your master is burned and you load it into itunes, you can enter the details there then go to "advanced" and then "submit CD track names".

CD-text is encoded directly onto the CD during the mastering process. It's generally used by CD players that have the capability of reading that info. Though there are many home players that read this info the big market for this is car stereos.

If you want the info to exist in the Gracenote database there are two basic ways of doing this, the first of which is to make the submission yourself using iTunes (described above and at http://www.gracenote.com/company_info/FAQ/FAQs/#5a)

If you're going with a distribution company they will have direct access to the Gracenote database via iTunes Producer by Apple. This allows them to make edits that show up almost immediately while making a submission or edit on your own has been known to take up to a month.

Hope it helps.