Physical copies (CDs) vs digital (Mp3s)

i dont usually stroll around with earphones in anymore, but thats because i tend not to stroll anywhere if i dont like how its going to sound anyway.
ive all but stopped going into town, miserable grey dull despicable little town full of people i'd rather not see and places id rather not visit, the countryside on the other hand, i can dig just listening to the wind.

Me and you will go to Chernobyl one day.
Just go sit inside some structure with broken windows/blown out windows and just listen to the wind just blowing around the place:headbang:

id be so down for that
chernobyl wind ambience, mm

also, my copy of Portal - Swarth on CD arrived today. god i hate and love cd's all at once. infinitely better than just having the FLAC and no packaging, but the artwork's so smalllll and tiny shiny plastic discs are just... Meh.
It's a gorgeous little piece, I just wish it was much much bigger.
Ah well, it's out on vinyl soon! WOO

Although I've lost about 20 or so CD's due to my mom accidentally losing them while borrowing my vehicle years ago, and a close friend of mine has had his car broken into twice and had all his CD's stolen.... I still take the CD's to my car.
For one I don't bring that many, and secondly, with people pirating/downloading CD's everywhere I just can't fathom someone breaking into a car for 10-20 cd's that they'll probably never be able to sell anyway. Also, I always rip all my CD's in AIF formats after I buy them, so worst case scenario I can always burn a new one.
I did however learn my lesson about LENDING CD's. Fuck that! I either never get them back or get them back scratched to all hell. So yes I just burn the CD's now if they want them.

P.S I looked up Archos and it only has 16 gig of storage space :erk:

There's only one person I even consider lending my shit to, but he takes immensely good care of my stuff, so I treat his things with the same respect.

But yeah, one person out of all the people I've lent stuff to in my 19 years of existence does not bode well. >:{

also, my copy of Portal - Swarth on CD arrived today. god i hate and love cd's all at once. infinitely better than just having the FLAC and no packaging, but the artwork's so smalllll and tiny shiny plastic discs are just... Meh.
It's a gorgeous little piece, I just wish it was much much bigger.
Ah well, it's out on vinyl soon! WOO
just got mine too... loving it the bleak atmosphere, cold textures, and almost industrial darkness of it. you ever check out Wolves In The Throneroom? or on the "prettier" side of black, how about Alcest or Les Discrets?

i expect you'll be getting the vinyl then?
great great album
You checked out their other albums too? Seepia and the 7" demo are both excellent!

And I never really got into black metal, I've listened to a lot, but there's always been "something" there that makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I mean there's a lot of music that makes me feel uncomfortable, but black metal is something different that I can't quite put into words. Portal is about as close as I come to enjoying black metal. However I am slowly looking into blackened death. \o/ I did have a listen to wolves in the throne room but it didn't do that much for me, just got met with a sort of shrug of indifference I suppose.
You into Krallice at all? The more I hear by them the more I dig them.

and @ alcest i did check out an mp3 on profound lore records website. will probably get around to having a proper listen shortly.

Personally I think CDs are the right balance of convenience, quality and value.

MP3s are convenient and cheap yet they are inferior in quality and also do not provide the enthusiast with tangible artwork to appreciate as a finished product from the artist to the audience. MP3s win in the portability department but (to me) they potentially devalue the music you're listening to as the song/piece becomes just one, insignificant of the multitude of songs people tend to dump (even if they have no particular interest in it) on their players.

Vinyl are obviously limited to where they can be played. I cannot comment on the quality because I haven't heard many albums on this medium (although I expect it to be somewhat inferior to Red Book standard?). However, they surpass CDs in just how epic the presentation is, so that's a big +1 to vinyl especially for collectors.

CDs, however, allow for portability, the possibility to be played in virtually any location which has a CD player (extremely common) a high standard of audio quality and the possibility for a nice booklet including lyrics and artwork to conclude an all-round package of win, for collector and casual enthusiast alike.