Cheapest Method of Duplication and Booklet Creation?

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Hey guys. I just finished mixing my band's EP the other day. We want to get this EP released, but we feel it's necessary to create a booklet and such first, and I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Ideally, we'd like to have maybe a 4 page booklet (including the main cover) and a back tray sheet. Plus the CDs themselves should have an image printed on them. I have a Memorex CD Label Maker, but I am unsure how good the quality is, as I haven't even opened it before :lol:

So, what's the cheapest/best way of releasing this EP in terms of getting CDs duplicated/printed and booklets made? 006 suggested Kinkos, but it looks like the price of a booklet is almost $8 per booklet. I noticed they do CD Duplication, though, which is cool.

Relatedly, I've got 5 wav files of the 5 songs on the EP. Is there any sort of special procedure for burning a CD to be released, or can I just use Winamp Pro like I usually do? Do I need to use a special program to encode Artist/Song data? Anything I've released so far has just been by way of CD-R or mp3, so it was simpler back then.

Thanks

I still haven't gotten clear the difference between duplication and replication? as in one is original Cd and the other is a cd-r? which is which? sorry bout the stupid question, prefer to make it here than make a new stupid "noob" thread

Pretty much...Replication uses a master that is made specific to your disc, for your disc. Duplication just dupes the CD-R you submit, onto blank CD-R's, so the shelf life is less than a replicated CD (so they say). In terms of printing, usually replicated discs use a screenprinting process or offset printing for the disc, short runs usually use some type of color laser for the CD and booklet.

I've done both, and honestly never heard of any problems this day and age with going either way. Obviously replication is the way the music biz does things, but cost efficiency doesn't come into play until 1000 units, which may be more than you want/need.

If you wanna do it on the cheap, but have less to work with, check out www.kunaki.com . It's a duplication on demand service... Per CD cost is only 1.75, so it's probably one of the cheapest out there...The mroe you order, you save on shipping. You can also have Kunaki drop ship directly to CD Baby. The quality is actually really good. I just did artwork for a project that is being duped by Kunaki and they turned out great.

My band will be re-pressing an earlier out of print release through Kunaki soon.

I've used DiskFaktory and Discmakers in the past, and both turned out great.

Thanks guys. Oh, and I'm talking like 50 copies MAX for awhile, :lol:

This is not a huge release. It's our first release. We know some people who want to buy it, and we plan to send it to labels to see if they want to distribute. But we wont even need 50.

http://www.tunecore.com

Not only can you get good quality discs...but they plave your songs in iTunes, AmazonMP3, Rhapsody and others.

The prices are good, and they send out tips and ideas for promotion and production occasionally.

One cool thing is the royalties you get from people just listening to the tracks on Rhapsody...it pays for spins as well as actual purchases.

The CDs we got look great, and so far we haven't had any bad discs or screwy prints. Very easy to work with and good pricing...lots of CD packagind options as well.