Adding some ring/overtone to the snare

Faded

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2007
It's probably more a rock thing than metal, but I do love some overtone coming from the snare, makes it a bit more natural IMO.

I'm wondering if anyone here has a good technique for actually adding some overtones to a dead acoustic snares or to a punchy/dry samples (like most Slate samples for example, maybe besides the Deftones and RHCP)?

Maybe some good free samples with decent/loud overtones?

Thanks.

Well, you could try to find the ring area of the snare you already have and boost it with an EQ. Or like you said - find another sample to blend in that has more ring to it.

parallel 1176 compression, fast attack, fast release. boost some of the ringer frequencies with a tight-ish q and a big boost at 200hz to stop the bleed going too nuts.

if you're brave reamp a snare by putting a monitor on top of it and miking it up.

fuck samples.

You can use a transient designer plugin and increase the sustain a bit,it gives you a nice ring. there's a transient designer plugin in reaper called transient shaper I think, you can also do a narrow boost around 500Hz, or as said above you can use samples, there's some free Vinnie paul signature snare samples, I don't remember from where I got these samples, but they got a really nice ring.

pretty much what i thought..
thanks

and yeah fuck samples - but fuck even more bad drummers.

I've found that if you send the snare to a bus and add some distortion to the bus, you can get some nice overtones sometimes. Mix to taste.