Snare Transient Designer Technique >> getting rid of HH Bleed

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
i found a nice way to get the snare sit up front in the mix, without too much of the annoying hh bleed, thought i'd share this technique with you

listen here :
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=885205&songID=7488271

1. Snare without Plugins
2. Sn Trans / with SPL ON
3. Sn Sustain / with SPL ON
4. Whole Kit without SPL ON
5. Whole Kit with Sn Trans Added
6. Whole Kit with Sn Trans AND Sn Sustain Added

this goes for real recorded snares, though for my demo here i only used
superior 2.0. with added hh bleed, its pretty much the same.
still if you want to control the crack and the sustain of any percussive instrument, or even steven slate samples, try this technique !

great advantages with this technique :

- you can apply different eqs (for example boost the highs) on the attack, and leave the sustain of the signal untouched (where the highhat is audible)

- Snare will never get buried in the mix, especially if you insert "GCLIP" to
the transient track (like steven slate told in another thread ((go use the search function)) ) - just turn the tranients up

here we go

1. Send your Snare Track to 2 Auxes

2. name aux 1 = Sn Trans , name aux 2 Sn Sustain

3. insert transient designer (i use spl and would higly recommend that one, or eiosis e²) on both auxes as insert fx

4. go to Sn Trans Transient Designer and turn sustain alll the way down, till there is only the crack of the snare left.

if its not punchy enough for you, add some attack, till "Overload" indicates, your signal is too hot. then reduces some of the output Gain, maybe about 3-6 db so it does not clip

5. go to Sn Sustain and adjust the transient designer like this :
turn the attack all the way down - and add about 12 db of sustain.

now there will only be the sustain of the snare left.

6. now turn Sn Trans up. What you hear now is only the initial
transient of the snare. its like a "smack" in your face. this sound reminds me of 70s funk snare, fat, but still punchy ;-)

and you havent even added any eq or compression yet !

7. As the snare sounds very unnatural, turn SN Sustain up to about
- 15 db. only add so much sustain, so the snare sounds natural, ass the overheads / ambience mics / reverb will add some tail to the snare.

i personally insert a gate to get rid of unwanted transients from the toms,
but depending on the song, it doesnt always need gates at all with this technique.
i use the spl trans designer from the uad 2, try other transient designers like dominion or eiosis e². i personally use the spl.

hope you like that technique, i know its not totally new, but i never considered this technique when there was too much of the HH bleed.

i will post some clips with real recorded snares!

did you use the plugin or the hardware version of the transient designer?

The UAD 2 Plugin . its very effective, i actually bought all the uad plugins recently and let me tell you : they are amazing.

i don't know if i would ever need the hardware version of the spl, as the analog code (thats what they are called, licensed by SPL) plugins sound amazing.

I wonder if anyone tried this technique or is it absolute nonsense for you guys ?

Sounds like a cool way to get some finer control over the snare. I tend to prefer the simpler transient designers myself. I try to avoid getting too tweaky with the individual elements of the mix because it gets me hung up on details when I should be looking at the overall picture. If the snare needs that much adjustment, I'll usually just audition different samples and go with something else that works. If there is severe acoustic hi-hat bleed, it usually implies a re-track is needed... or some samples.

But I'm sure this method will work for a bunch of people, so thanks for sharing.

Yeah cool ideas, if I ever run into this HH bleed situation I'll give it a go! So far though I've never had significant hat bleed, I just make sure to always position the snare mic so the hi hat is directly behind it... The snare itself is usually picked up so much louder than the hihat this way that the bleed is a non issue.

yeah, i should work on my micing skills, i know :lol:
my problem has always been finding the spot, where you have

1. the best possible snare sound (obvious)
2. NOT to interfere with the drummers playing style
3. not to have the hh bleed too much into the snare mic.

most of the times 1 and 2 leave no space for 3...

but, not only is this technique great for getting rid of the hh bleed,
its also very effective for in your face snare sounds
without too much of the "ring" of the snare (think of really shitty snare sounds like lars ulrichs st anger...)

>> getting creative with this technique :

i also like to use the Attack of the real snare, and eq that separately,
while you can use a different sustain "sample" with lots of bottom end.
i think, thats where this techique can be very effectively used as well.

anyone interested in hearing examples with attack from a real snare recording with sustaini of a slate sample ?

Very good idea man, I will save this down on a txt file. Awesome way of getting control over the snare... I can imagine it's possible to get a nice crack and a fat sustain without all the sizzle from the hats on the sustain since you can EQ differently. Thanks!

ok, will post that later ! also i thought about getting REALLY creative,
mixing the attack with the sustain of a low tom :)

lets see how that will sound, hehe.

here is the original attack of the snare with the slate nirvana sustain added.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=885205&songID=7768605

this way, you can create stunning new snare sounds :OMG:
although this one sounds a little trashy on its own,
in a mix, the added sustain brings some interesting color in a mix.

the great thing is : if you use drumagog, you add something new to the mix
instead of replacing the whole snare. also if your drumagog is not 100 % accurate (auto align problems), doubletriggered hits etc. won't be too much of a problem, as you will only hear the sustain part of the sample.

nice, i learned something new by posting this little tutorial ;-)
next up is a low tom added for sustain. i think randy staub does something quite similar.