making a real snare sound great - tutorial

Good post, I'd add that a good deal of your snare should be coming from your overheads too.
Just requires adjusting mic distance so your snare sits centered in your stereo image and is equidistant to your OH mics.

thats true! i use an ab setup and make sure both mics are the same distance
to the snare, so it stays in the center. i use the drummers sticks for that task ;-)=

about micing : i placed the mic like this. facing the center, slightly angled (in my drawing its completely flat, but i angled it about 10°

mixing%20snare.png

im gonna ask what snare this is on saturday!

yeah, thats a really good tip! i must admit usually i edit the snare track by hand if needed. in this case it worked. but the midi thing is a really cool tip!

yeah, im amazed what the uad tapesim can do, its one of the most effective highend eqs itb !

first of all, thanks for the great tutorial.
secondly, which gate do you use that suport's triggering via midi?

I'm assuming the MIDI is created from a trigger track right?

I would just make it from the original and delete any false hits, would be a quick one-pass through the song to get rid of them. Cubase has internal MIDI conversion that would be more than good enough for this, but Trigger/Drumagog would also work.

I would just make it from the original and delete any false hits, would be a quick one-pass through the song to get rid of them. Cubase has internal MIDI conversion that would be more than good enough for this, but Trigger/Drumagog would also work.

You speak of VariAudio, right?

Tried around today... a lot actually. Thank you so much for this tutorial. This is what I came up with for my latest project: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2932654/Snare%20Rym%20Hard%202.2.wav
What do you think?

no problem! spring is experimenting time for me too , hehe!

it seems to be a little excessive on the lowend (is it clipping on the masterbus?) maybe go a little easier. but the snare got an interesting texture/ring i like.
why dont you post in context!

I'm amazed you don't tune up/reskin etc. the difference in your raw sound would improve a ton.

i usually do that! but this time i was pretty sure i would only use samples, so i wont bother my clients with that... turned out i liked the snare so much i kept it. also i dont think the tone is too bad here, thats really up to taste. i got comments ranging from : sounds good to best snare ever....

btw its a sonor delight series snare (800€), 14x4
they dont make them anymore. they are similar to the custom stuff sonor makes nowadys (about 1500€....