Upon a Burning Body snare sound?

B

buhzie2

Anyone have any guesses at how to get a snare sound like this?

Also, a similar snare sound would be something like this:

Any ideas? It's so thick but still has lots of sustain that seems to cut through the mix somehow. I'm baffled at how to achieve a sound like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it sounds like a damped snare. It doesn't really have that much low end. It's maybe a Piccolo snare? Not sure...

first of all, will putney is the man
but probably a solid boost in the mids/lowmids, compressed like insane, and a fair amount of room sound
check out the new stray from the path / structures cds. Those snares are unreal too.

Will is doing something nut-so with his SNR sounds..... I LOVE them and dislike them at the same time.... its hard to put my finger on it, it was this, WET, water-falling like decay to it but still sounds natural and breathes....... I NO GET IT

you will want a big snare
tighten it more than usual
then, but a moon gel on it
and then add a trigger on it and blend it when the snare track....lol
producing this kinda stuff is pretty easy, man. should be a piece of cake.

you will want a big snare
tighten it more than usual
then, but a moon gel on it
and then add a trigger on it and blend it when the snare track....lol
producing this kinda stuff is pretty easy, man. should be a piece of cake.

Its no piece of cake because if it was that easy i'd have will's mixes on lock and im pretty sure NOBODY but will himself knows what he's doing to get those sounds. Yes, mad comping and clipping, but if you can tell me how to get it exactly, lets see YOU do it. If its THAT easy then I must be stupid, but i'd like to see you duplicate a putney mix. If it's so easy...

Its no piece of cake because if it was that easy i'd have will's mixes on lock and im pretty sure NOBODY but will himself knows what he's doing to get those sounds. Yes, mad comping and clipping, but if you can tell me how to get it exactly, lets see YOU do it. If its THAT easy then I must be stupid, but i'd like to see you duplicate a putney mix. If it's so easy...

an attitude like that makes it alot more difficult to succeed.
the problem with younger people trying to be engineers on this site, they think that there is Worse mixes and Better mixes. i may seem new but iv been on here for a long ass time. i just made a new account.

iv worked on many records and mixes, and id say their pretty damn good. i wouldnt say better than wills mixes...but i also wouldnt say worse.. cause i dont believe that exists. every mix has a beauty.

the sooner you realize that, the better

an attitude like that makes it alot more difficult to succeed.
the problem with younger people trying to be engineers on this site, they think that there is Worse mixes and Better mixes. i may seem new but iv been on here for a long ass time. i just made a new account.

iv worked on many records and mixes, and id say their pretty damn good. i wouldnt say better than wills mixes...but i also wouldnt say worse.. cause i dont believe that exists. every mix has a beauty.

the sooner you realize that, the better

Im not having an attitude, im just saying if its so easy then i would like to hear it (you spoke in a way that made you sound like you know how to do it). Im not concerned about you being new or old either.

I think users here dont refer to a mix being garbage or not, just out of personal preference.

Im not having an attitude, im just saying if its so easy then i would like to hear it (you spoke in a way that made you sound like you know how to do it). Im not concerned about you being new or old either.

I think users here dont refer to a mix being garbage or not, just out of personal preference.

its cause i do know how to do it.
and u'd be surprised who iv come across on this forum lol
iv heard some rediculous shit due to my post count. i just have a life and dont live on the net :p

its cause i do know how to do it.
and u'd be surprised who iv come across on this forum lol
iv heard some rediculous shit due to my post count. i just have a life and dont live on the net :p

Well if you ever make the choice to post one then i'd love to hear it. Post count doesnt mean anything, im sure sneap can make a new account and have 1 post and people will give him shit or call on being a fake. Some people are ridiculous but yo, nothing against you, just curiosity.

yeah theres some names to drop on this forum.

im not in a band anymore. just been working at various studios as a freelancer.
no one in southern ontario, canada is very dedicated or commited for a band lol

I fooled around with a bunch of snare layers some time back and came real close to that snare sound. Chain was: 3 different snares layered - API500B - Kramer PIE - Transient Designer.
The Kramer PIE compressor is the way to go if you want to achieve a snare sound/attitude like the one UABB has on The World Is Ours.

Careful attention to tuning/micing, probably destroyed in some way via hardware on the way in (1176 wouldn't surprise me), and then tweaked more via hardware eq and analog comps. Same thing goes for the sample that's blended in if he used one.

The drums on this are programmed. Joey was supposed to mix and probably only knows how to use midi drums lol. Will def knows how to get great natural drum tones as our new album will demonstrate. He uses parallel comp on shells.

Are all the drums or just the shells programmed? And I thought he was gonna do the new one that came out but they didn't like his mix so they went with Will?