How to get a similar snare sound?

It's basically a low, out of tune snare. I think Mashreef is suggesting it might be pitch-shifted down, which is possible. Hard to tell.

Fair enough, but -2 or -3 what? Cents? Semitones? Steps? Octaves? And -2 or -3 from what, exactly? There's no real "standard tuning" for snare drums to base that off of. :rolleyes:

yea sounds like he was maybe assuming slate or something with a tuning number. using real snares would be crazy these days :rolleyes: but yea low batter head but the resonate head is probably still fairly tight but not as tight as most people keep their snare reso head. got a pretty close sound with a peral piccolo snare. i would never go for that sound but good luck.

For God sake there is a standard tune for drums (snare,toms everything except the cymbles) :|
-2, -3 from the standard tune...
and sorry in our local we call it like this.. -1 is half step down
so its probably 1 step or more...

i just used my piccolo because i didnt want to tune down my other snares. there are too many ugly overtones and the snares ring out to long because they are old and dont have enough wires so samples would be pretty pointless. just use whatever snare tune down the batter to where it barely has a pitch

For God sake there is a standard tune for drums (snare,toms everything except the cymbles) :|

This is absolute nonsense, this is like the third time I see you spreading wrong information around the forum. But just out of curiosity, could you tell me what would be the standard tuning for drums?

duhhh snare is A, tom 1 is G, tom 2 is D, kick is B. You don't wanna know the amount of fuckery that goes along with drop tunings though.

Dude, there isn't such thing as standard tuning for drums! There is only RECOMMENDED tuning (as starting point). You probably are watching on Tama watch guide (or something similar) and thinking THAT IS standard.
Drum are tuned according to TASTE and what tuning drum heads sound good.

Lot of engineers tune toms to have musical interval (major or minor) between them (sometimes they tune toms to match song key). But there is such thing as standard tuning for drums!!!

The recommend settings are known as the standard tunning....if you take a good look at it buddy

This is absolute nonsense, this is like the third time I see you spreading wrong information around the forum

I had been in this drumming line for 10 year's... so you know better...???
great!!! keep the bullshit to yourself..

OK guys, this stops now. Don't ruin my thread. If you want open another one for drum tunings.

Mashreef, just chill the fuck out dude, every time someone says anything against your "methods" you just go crazy. I'm new to the forum as a member, I'm not new to music, I've been playing drums professionally for 21 years, I make my living out of it and yes, I know better. There's absolutely no standard tuning for drums, PERIOD. Just by reading your posts anyone with a bit of experience can tell that you have no idea about the stuff that you post. Use your own advice and keep the bullshit to yourself. People come here looking for help and posts like yours can be very misleading.

OK guys, this stops now. Don't ruin my thread. If you want open another one for drum tunings.

Drum tuning is a big part of what will take for you to achieve the sound you are looking for man. If you are recording real snares, you will need to tune it lower than usual to get that tone.

Mashreef is from a totally different culture than you.

Things are said differently and things can seem misleading due to that.
And same goes vice versa.
Just be adults and keep calm and try to understand and remember that.

Now, that snare sound consists if the following:

The dimension of the snare
How its tuned
How tight the saddles are
What kind of skin is on the snare.

It's not something you can mix or add colour to get it. You have the texture to deal with. That being the snare.

And just so you guys know, don't justify someone's experience in number of years. Cause it's always wrong. It's a very situational justification.

I agree with you man.. im from a cultura where there is more than the 7 kit piece
we have such instruments that flows with the beat u had never even heard off..
Anyways thats not the point... every culture is diff
and i have no intention to be going crazy.. ofcourse i will always defend my statement

Just be adults and keep calm and try to understand and remember that

Yes buddy i will keep that in mind... well i havent started you can see that

Sorry man, nothing to do with culture, it's common sense. It's the same anywhere in the world, you just don't teach people the wrong thing. It's irresponsible at best. I agree that experience can't really be measured in years, but since it was brought to the table as a major card, then I might as well use it too.