Weird Snare Spectrum

JeffEstrada

Ascend Recordings
Dec 16, 2010
So there's this mix I was listening to, Really great mix. The snare used in the mix is Steven's Snare 11. The snare sounded perfect. While listening to the song I noticed there was a spot where the snare played completely alone, no cymbal tail in the back, just the snare hit. So I cut it out, pasted it in reaper and literally put it in a loop and a spectrum analyzer to try and recreate the snare.

Then I noticed something weird. Im really not sure how you can do this at all :
Snare%2011.png

Here's how it looks like in action:
Snare%2011.gif

1)You can't see it clearly in the Gif but it's like if the 1Khz to 16kHz area smacks first whenever the snare hits.
2)That small area above 16000HZ that pretty much just remains the same. How do you even do that to your snare??

Here's how the snare hit sounds:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10891235/FO...Weird Snare Spectrum/AA_stems_-17-Snare 1.wav

Any tips on how I can do that is greatly appreciated.

The best tip I can offer is to stop looking at it and start listening to it. I know that sounds dickish, but it looks a lot more special than it sounds (like snare 11 with the highs boosted and some verb).

Not dickish at all, I get what your trying to say.

Although I am using a few tools to get a better view of the hit, I did try to replicate the snare by ear. I used the spectrum analyzer just to look out for any really obvious eq cuts/boosts. I saw that weird thing at 16kHz and wondered how. I mean I know for a fact that's not from an eq. I experimented a lot with C4 to try and achieve that weird small cut there but no luck. After an hour of hearing the same sample in a loop, you start to really lose yourself in what your doing.

I don't think the ambience is really coming from reverb. I can hear some Z4 in it. If anything there's probably little to no reverb. Snare11 Room samples are pretty much doing all the work there.

The snare in the clip sounds like 2 snares (a flam) like Habsburgs said. Does it sound like that throughout the whole song?

Maybe they did the snare flam but just put a highpassed snare as the first hit, as a post-production thing? Then the second snare has the full body, which is why the lower EQ's only kicks in then.