Snare/kick Tips

meanmrmustad

Supreme Member
Aug 27, 2009
Oaxaca, Mexico
What's been working great for me lately is turning the lugs on the snare as tight as will go and then detuning the 2 bottom lugs.

Using the snare channel just for attack and reverb for body/decay.

On the snare channel I just use a gate and transient designer and call it a day.

And for the kick, the Jaw Tuning + Credit Card + Penny has been working wonders.

Still can't tune toms worth a damn lol, so Metal Machine! :D

No offense but I won't take your word for it. Sounds like terrible ideas but let's hear it... Maybe... Clipz?

What's been working great for me lately is turning the lugs on the snare as tight as will go and then detuning the 2 bottom lugs.

On the snare channel I just use a gate and transient designer and call it a day.

And for the kick, the Jaw Tuning + Credit Card + Penny has been working wonders.

-For mixing snare I would get as beefy as possible snare and use reverb to enhance that + give kinda open-ish vibe to drums.
-For non replaced drums gate is must-to, but I'm using comp + saturation/distortion (sousage fattener is making job easier) + EQ + transient designer + g-clip.
-Haven't been able to record acoustic drums jet (it will be soon), so I don't know what is Jaw Tuning + Credit Card + Penny.

Try putting on a used baby diaper for the snare top. Crank the 4 lugs on the left to 400 psi, leave off ALL the lugs on the right. Mic it up with a distress or, running into a Behringer headphone amp. You'll be amazed.

I fill my kick drums with used car tires, set it on fire and record it with the mic on my fisher price tape recorder.

Everything else ez mix.

Done!

Try putting on a used baby diaper for the snare top. Crank the 4 lugs on the left to 400 psi, leave off ALL the lugs on the right. Mic it up with a distress or, running into a Behringer headphone amp. You'll be amazed.

I fill my kick drums with used car tires, set it on fire and record it with the mic on my fisher price tape recorder.

Everything else ez mix.

Done!
:D

RHrLj.png

Everything else ez mix.

Done!

:lol:

I like to put my snare under water and hit it with a knife. It has to be a knife because a stick will not go through the water as quickly. The downside is the head has to be tossed after I'm done.

I lower a mic into the water (sm57) putting 2 non lubricated condoms on it to keep it dry.

Then I mix that in with a shotgun blast I recorded out in a field at my grandfathers farm. I used a q3 with a foam windscreen for that. I used 3" magnum buckshot loads in a 12 gauge.

Then I mix those two with a regular snare and put the star wars theme playing through headphones (the small earbud kind) into the snare drum itself through the port hole. I use a strong amp and play it quite loud in there.

Then I drop trou and make the guy playing the drum part stare at my bare ass while he plays, a few chuckles get into the mix but that's how I roll.

I think I know what Jaw Tuning means, but what are that Credit Card and Penny things on the kick?

Funny_old_woman_4.jpg

YOU SERIOUS?!

I normally tape some coins on the tip of the sticks when I record drums for more attack (the big old 1 dollar coins work perfectly), then I always glue a penny on top of a SM57 and mic up the drummers Butt for more CRACK. On Kick what I prefer is a more open sound, so I leave the Batter and Reso head off. To still capture sound without triggering (to keep it natural), I always mic up the footpedal where the chainmount hits the pedalplate (about 1 inch on axis away fro the pedal).
Now here's the trick for some nice analog saturation on those tracks: Mic up an old tube TV an set the channel on an non receiving frequency so you only get this nice grainy analog noise.....
record like 10 minutes of this, lay it underneath your track... GATE....SIDECHAIN...DONE...

I love this Thread....... :)

First, you have to switch the positions of the kick and snare. Really changes the whole dynamic of the kit. Problem is the giant ass kick is too big to fit where the snare goes, so just replace it with one of those Yamaha Subkick mics and have the drummer dribble a basketball directly on it in time with the song. For additional low end cut open the basketball and throw in a Sennheiser MD421. Seal the basketball with Orbit brand strawberry-flavored chewing gum and mix it with the Subkick to taste. Send both to an aux and then through twelve stages of parallel compression. Gate the whole thing at a threshold of +27 dB so nothing gets through, pull up Reaper's MIDI editor, and then write a MIDI drum part that will trigger a Slate kick sample that will provide the bulk (approximately 100 %) of the kick sound.

For the snare (which you'll recall is now where kick should be), the bulk of the sound comes from the drummer kicking it directly with his steel-toed boots. For extra sustain I have him shoot the basketball on each snare beat he wants emphasized. Close mic the basket and compress with a very fast attack and quick release to bring out the sustain of the net. I almost always use an 1176 for this purpose. Have a friend retrieve the basketball quickly so he doesn't miss too many kick beats.

If I'm mixing power metal, I'll usually just forget the drums all together and send the drummer to the nearest woodlot to mic up the throngs of Orcs that frequently wander through the area.