Gate Kick and Snare help

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I know Andy uses the trigger signal to gate kick, snare and tom and I do it too.
He said this: "I also gate the original snare and use the triggered sound (brought forward by about 5 milliseconds) as the gate key input, so the gate opens a fraction before the hit."

But if I move forward the triggered tracks, and I use them as key for the gate, doesn't the gate open a little AFTER the hit (not before)?

hmm actually the 1st time i read what you posted i thought i knew the answer but i've read it again and your right from what i understand.

if you trigger the gate from a sample 5ms reading ahead then the trigger is going to open 5ms after the hit leaving you with a cut sample sound in the front.

i'd also like to know the answer to this - by the way Xes - where did you see that quote from andy?

think that he means shifted back. as in left.
earlier in time. brought forward in time

I assumed by "forward" Andy meant "forward in time" as in "earlier". I mean, he does specify that he uses the method to trigger the gates a little "before" the actual drum transient. I would've thought it was common sense that he meant he was moving the trigger wavs to the left.