Plug-in tips for gated reverb

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
I wanted to try out some gated 80s style snare reverb and I read up a bit on how to do it. I tried to add the reverb first on the snare, and then bringing up a noise-gate to filter out the after effect of the verb, but this didn't work too good. I've tried other variations, but the best I came up with resultet in the verb being cut off before the next hit, but instead I got this weird phasey sound after the hit. What plugins/techniques do you guys use to create some huge gated 'verbs?

sidechaining is how I would set it up, not that I would, gated reverb is Teh Ghey.

snare track, send to reverb (bus 1-2), send to bus 3
on bus 3 put in a delay plug, maybe 1/16th note. output of this bus to bus 4.
on the reverb (bus 1-2) return you need your reverb plug, followed by a gate. Gate sidechain is set to bus 4.

Alternately duplicate the snare track and on the copy put in the delay, set the output to bus 4 etc. Just make sure this delayed track isn't going to the main outputs, it's just to trigger the gate.

if you just put a gate on it, it wont react to different dynamics right. a sidechain is the best way to do it, especially if you want it to gate rhythmically on 1/2 notes or whatever