Avatar SD 2.0 Black Beauty Snare!

Yeah i know what you mean. I hate using triggering software for that reason alone. Plus to avoid latency and improper phasing one must print the tracks to correct this. I prefer taking samples and pasting them on seperate tracks for precision. Superior samples sound great but theres always that one sample in the cycle that sounds wank. So even when im using purely superior for song production ill print the tracks and replace the wank close mic hits with a different good one. This will give you more solid feeling tracks needing less compression and eq. Its like whats the point in letting those samples make your work harder when the point in using samples for augmenting is to get the best sound as possible. After printing and replacing that wank hits its a lot easier to mix the drums. So for getting superior to sound better try this out.

What's the difference between the envelope shaper and transient designer? I thought they were the same.

The envelope shaper is working on each individual sample, so it's a lot more accurate. The transient designer only has the entire waveform to work off, so it has to 'detect' the transients and manipulate them as best it can.

Yeah the included transient designer and all ive run across are basically a compressor with fixed settings. The attack is like lowering the threshold while the sustain setting is an expander. An enveolope shaper is a completely different beast. You can get all kinds of sought after sounds out of the thing withput artifacts llike pumping or distorting.

Cable guys has a cool waveform designer but its purposed to run in time with your session so it doesnt manipulate each hit, however its a great tool to use if youre processing samples for export. Cubase enveolope shaper is an ok tool as well and works much like the transient designer in superior drummer, its just as versatile. The envelope shaper with sd is the best ive used but youre limited to using it only on superior samples.