Transient designer on snares...

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

I'm currently experimenting with transient forming plugins on snares and kicks, with a lot more focus on snares.
I already tried Waves Trans X, SPL Transient Designer and the Oxford one. The SPL worked nice I think, but I had the feeling that the duration of the gained attack is some ms too short. Waves Trans X could achieve some extremes but it always sounded a lil ear fatiguing even on lower settings. The Oxford Transient Modulator is really nice, cause it has a lot of settings. But the one that sounded best for me is the integratet superiour drummer transient designer. Is there a VST version of this thing somewhere?! Would love to have it!

What's your favourite TD on snares or drums in general?

I use transx on LOADS of shit. One of the best purchases I've made. Sounds awesomes on kicks and snares. I use it on slate stuff instead of a compressor

Native is great and the difference in uad to waves is always drastic, with that being said I would rather have the uad comps and pultec using up the dsp on my uad than a simple transient designer

Are you guys throwing eq before or after the transient designer? With SSD snares I normally don't do any subtractive eq, just add a lot in different places for crack and mids. I started putting the eq before the transient designer but I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing here.

I use it a ton. I use Sonar, so I just use the stock Transient Designer, which works pretty well. And comes with some useful presets. On snare, generally I'll boost the attack and leave the decay alone. And on kick, I'll boost the attack a bit and reduce the decay. If it's fast metal (like blast-beat fast), then I'll boost and cut the attack and decay A TON.