Transient Designer plugin on DI tracks for re-amping ?

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I often use a transient designer type plugin (Schaack transient shaper) on DI tracks before sending to the Radial X-Amp if the player wasn't really attacking the strings well. I set it to increase pick attack and it really helps to get more dynamics and energy into the sound.

I have never seen it mentioned on here so I am probably giving away a secret that some of the guys here use but never talk about :)
Makes a big difference. Give it a go and you will see.

I also played with it and liked it... It's really cool thing!! Who never tried it, should...

Your idea is good. Also i'm using Rescue free plugin (Punch knob instead of Gain) after free compressor density, it's adds dynamics and live in squeezed sound.

I might try this out and post some clips later tonight. Got an old record I done with a band that was tight as fu but they played with 0.46mm picks so there was NO power in the DI's, guitar sound was a total nightmare!

Here is an example.
This player was ok so not the best example but the main thing is the Transient Designer guitars sound wider and more separate due to the attack being enhanced. These are Wav files so the best way to listen would be to import them to your DAW and quickly switch between them. Listen to the width and clarity of the muted gallop between the chords.
I used Logic's Enveloper plugin for this.

TD off
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/trans d off.wav

TD on
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/trans d on.wav

Yeah, definitely good stuff. I also use various other stuff if the situation calls for it (envelope altering compression for ex., sort of similar to transient designer in function), since a DI track can take a lot of beating as most of it gets hidden/masked with the amp's distortion anyway.
But it should be kept in mind that all these stuff are only a so-so attempt to make poor players sound competent.

Had to use that kind of trick it on some reamping for some neo classical guitar hero virtuoso some time ago... His playing was sooooo bad... Made it sound in the end ok but let me tell you that it ended up being a keyboard heavy mix :)

I use this trick all the time on di's that are poorly tracked and sound quite dull. livens them up a bit :) i always use the spl transient designer for that

+1 I've been doing this as a LAST resort or to get what's lacking from the DI's if it's a project we DIDN'T track.

Don't do it MUCH or all the time, but can be a life saver. SPL's TD is a lifesaver on a LOT of shit.