Quality of DI tracks for re-amping?

thedonutman

Nov 10, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Radial ProRMP for reamping purposes. My only concern is the quality of my recorded DI tracks. I'm using one of those little M-audio Fast Track USBs, with my guitar straight in the "instrument" input. The signal sounds alright, but I have no idea how clear it will be once reamped.

What do you guys think? Should I invest in a better DI box/another interface before I get a reamping box?

Yeah, they work "fine," but you'll definitely get increased fidelity and high-end detail with a dedicated DI box (specifically an active one with a high input impedance). What I'm not sure about is the differences in sound between a $30 Samson S-direct and a $150 Countryman Type 85, but I'd go for the Samson! (unless you can afford the Countryman, but since you're planning on getting the budget ProRMP, I assume that's not the case ;))

Will the difference between a cheap DI and an expensive one still be significant when put though a cheap interface?

And more importantly, will the increased fidelity be noticeable after EQing etc and in a mix?

For the first question, definitely, for the second, I don't have a definite answer, but better safe than sorry! :)

I'm very undecided...
I was looking for a Radial set (j48 + x-amp) but after the metaltastic shootout I switch my preference to the redeye. I think it's a good piece of gear and it's an all-in-one box.
The only negative point is that's a passive DI box...I normally use active pickups but if I have to record a guitarist with passive pu's it could be a problem.....
Anyway, listening to the metaltastic's samples the differences between a reamp done with a passive di and one done with an active di is pretty ridicolous so I think I'll go for the REDEYE

The Redeye is pretty expensive over here. I think I'll just end up getting a cheap DI box and the proRMP (I couldn't really hear enough of a difference in that shootout to justify a more expensive one) Not sure what DI box to get though. The Samson S-direct is really cheap, do you reckon that'll give me a real improvement in sound (over just using the interface)

Yeah XES, go for the Redeye, and then down the road get a good active DI! And donutman, I do think so, yeah, and if not, you can always return it! :)

I can find the RedEye for 250€ from Thomann. If you think that a Radial combo (j48 + x-amp) come for about 300-350€....the RedEye is not too much expensive

One more quick question:

How good is the ART Tube MP when used as a DI box? It says on their site that its a pre and a DI. Is it any good?

It would really kill two birds with one stone for me, because I could do with a mic pre too.

One more quick question:

How good is the ART Tube MP when used as a DI box? It says on their site that its a pre and a DI. Is it any good?

It would really kill two birds with one stone for me, because I could do with a mic pre too.

Google yourself up a manual, or email ART to check the spec's.

Check the input impedance, if it's less than 470k Ohms it's "usable" for line-out stuff like keyboards, drum-machines etc, but no good for hi-Z instrument outputs like guitar or bass.

Can the tube be switched out of the circuit? Ask yourself if you want to be altering your "dry" signal with "tube warmth" which you can't remove.

As for how good it is... don't expect to be blown away.

Yeah, the JDI is passive, so it can't have as high of an input imp. as an active DI. Higher input impedance = more tone preservation (specifically high end detail), essentially, but with active pickups it doesn't matter nearly as much.

The quality of the DI tracks is the single most important thing when it comes to reamping. The quality of the DI and preamp circuits makes a huge difference. I've run a multitude of different people's guitar tracks essentially through the same amp, via the same reamp, TS etc. and some have just instantly jumped out at me as being more high-fidelity, simply because of the gear. A bad DI chain is a great way to throw your tone into a distant, muddy hole, with absolutely no way to EQ it back into shape. Believe me, I've been trying to slot bad DI guitars into a mix for weeks now...

Good idea is to both record the di track and monitor through reamp device and your amp at the same time so you know how it will sound later when you get to real reamping and tweaking stage.