Adelaide review of TGOTE - 4.5 Out of 5

TJP

New Metal Member
Jan 22, 2005
Adelaide
Hi,

First post to the board but have been trolling for quite some time....

Here is a half page review entitled "Anthrax harder and faster" from page 14 of the Inside Entertainment Guide supplement - Sunday Mail (Adelaide - South Australia).

The paper is read by around 400,000 people. Great advertising for a great album.

In short: Classic Anthrax cuts have just got a whole lot better.

This is the Anthrax album that fans have waited more than a decade to hear.

John Bush, muscular-throated vocalist who has fronted the band for almost 13 years, has finally been given the chance to rock the hell out of Anthrax’s pre-1990 catalogue.

Bush's predecessor, Joey Belladonna, saw the New York thrash giant through its heyday of 1985 through to 1991. As a result, Belladonna's refined, high-pitched operatic squeal is, to many of the band's older fans, the definitive voice of Anthrax.

I strongly urge old-school fans who might have given up on the band in the past decade to give The Greater of Two Evils a serious spin. One listen to Bush as he powers through such unforgettable tunes as Madhouse, Caught In A Mosh and Keep It In The Family is all that is needed to be sold, or re-sold, on the Anthrax name forever.

With only two remaining original members, drummer Charlie Benate and charismatic guitarist Scott Ian, Anthrax has managed to remain true to its stomping music, which blends the best elements of melodic heavy metal and early hardcore punk.

On The Greater of Two Evils, the material has been powered up several notches. And this faster, denser delivery is far from being a note-for note carbon copy of the original tracks.

Anthrax sounds more like a hungry young band than a 24-year veteran act of the American thrash metal scene.

It should be noted that Benate's drumming on this record, especially on N.F.L, Panic and Gung Ho, is quicker and more precise than ever.

Highlights include blistering remakes of the early Neil Turbin sang tunes, Deathrider and the joyous anthem Metal Thrashing Mad.

Both cuts provide a memorable opening to what is destined to be a classic Anthrax album. The band has put in a awesome performance, but this is John Bush's album. With such a powerful and gutsy vocal contribution, he has officially become the greatest Anthrax singer.

4.5 Out of 5

:D

Review by David Flaherty.

I have the paper sitting in my living room

* rushes out of living room to grab paper *

That is fucking awesome - a whole half page dedicated to Anthrax - then about 5 little reviews underneath. Excellent - very surprised to see that in the morning paper!!!

Welcome to the board TJP - where you been all this time??? Did you get to the Heaven gig last April??

Welcome to the board TJP - where you been all this time??? Did you get to the Heaven gig last April??[/QUOTE]

I was at the Heaven concert, which was on my birthday !

I also attended the concert at the Bridgeway wayyyy back in 96 (have to check the tour cd for the correct dates ). :Spin:

They have been 2 of the best concerts I've seen...

I've always been here, just never felt the need to post until last Sunday. Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers.

Yeah I was at the Bridgeway as well, and also saw them back in 1990 at Thebby Theatre. I cant remember the Brideway gig very well at all though as I drank so much!

Was that show packed out - someone asked me a while ago and I cant fuggen remember!

I was 5 when they played at Thebby.

I didn't even know who they were. :)

Heaven was my first gig of Anthrax, and it was the best gig I have ever been to.