Adramelch - Epic Fucking Metal From Italy

swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
Adramelch – Irae Melanox

4134.gif

Adramelch is a progressive metal band from Italy; however, the progressive metal in this album is more in the sense of Fates Warning – The Spectre Within or Awaken the Guardian. The band gets the progressive-ness from the odd time signatures, ala King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Yes, etc, but they break into more heavy metal riffs instead of the weird off the wall or soothing atmospheric passages.

The albums starts out quite slowly with a intro type track which leads into a riff that has a weird time signature, then eventually flows into some crushing heavy metal riffs, yet keeping those time signatures abnormal. The song progresses into more of an epic heavy metal riffs with vocals that are so emotive, that it feels like the vocalist will rip his vocals chords; his vocals are simply perfect for this style of music. These ideas continue throughout the album without being tedious. The interlays of bass harmonies and absolutely stunning dual guitar work in this album make up some truly epic choruses and riffs- Zephirus is an absolute brilliant example of this. This feeling of a progressive build up with odd time signatures are used to absolute perfection, each slight build up to more of a heavy metal feeling fits so perfectly. The band really knows how to build up and one cannot help but pump your fist as the chorus come on.

There isn’t really a concept to this album, which I usually like in an epic heavy metal album, but there is a constant medieval theme of rising up against the king. The theme of the album is quite easily felt because of the epic-ness of the album, which in return makes the general atmosphere of the album.

The one downfall of this album is the guitar tone; it’s a bit weak and at times it fails to pick up some of the riffs. This is a minor complaint because the songwriting does not lack through the album. I do highly recommend an intense listen on headphones or a very nice system because the production can water down some of the riffs; however, when the riffs finally hit, you will be crushed!

1. Fearful Visions
2. Zephirus
3. Irae Melanox
4. Lamento (Anonymous XV Cent)
5. Decay (Saver Comes)
6. Was Called Empire
7. Eyes of Alabaster
8. Dreams of a Jester

Adramelch – Broken History

84348.jpg

After a 17 year break after their brilliant album Irae Melanox, Adramelch come back in full force with their brilliant songwriting, riffs, and vocals. This album is less progressive in a sense than Irae Melanox, yet definitely a fucking brilliant album. In this album, the production is much better and the riffs are easily heard and still crush you.

The band plays more of a heavy/epic metal style now, which means shorter song; however, the band has not lost any of their epic-ness. So what’s so good about this album? The fucking riffs annihilate you, continually. The dual guitars and bass interweave with harmonies and just insanely complex dual melodies. At times, while listening to the album, I just sit there in complete awe on how absolutely stunning the melodies are put together. I feel this way because the band doesn’t take the traditional approach of a riff then playing a nice melody overtop (like Iron Maiden), but they are both playing leads that cumulate with tension and epic-ness. The only band that can rival this dual guitar brilliance is Psychotic Waltz.

As with their previous album, there is a constant medieval theme with a feeling of a hatred of the one in power. This is perfectly suitable for an epic metal album.

Although the album has great songwriting, great riffs, and great vocals, I find myself going back to Irae Melanox more than this one, mainly because of the slight progressive elements which I enjoy more; however if you love epic metal and face melting riffs, this album is for you.

1. Intro: Fantasia I
2. I'll Save the World
3. Cluny Calls
4. Choral Prelude
5. Broken History
6. Beloved Jerusalem
7. Heap of Bones
8. Dethroned in Shame
9. Darts of Wind
10. Different Times, Different Places
11. Declaimed Prelude (The Bread and The Water)
12. Ten Wiles (Much More than Begged Mercy
13. Conclusion

I used to confuse this band with that Tech-death band from Finland or whatever. Not my kinda shit.

This, I must listen to.

Did I hear these dudes during my stay in England?

i can almost literally not even fucking believe how good "irae melanox" is

you know how sometimes you listen to music and your brain goes "is this even happening right now? how is it possible to even DO this?" this is that.

Reactions: Krilons Resa