Adrenaline Mob

PrgrsveMetalnChains

Vocal Prince
Jun 18, 2007
FWB, FL
Has anyone else heard the EP put out by this band yet? For those who haven't heard or don't know its Mike Portnoy and Russell Allen's new "supergroup" that is their version of a straight heavy metal band.

I would love to hear some feedback from the Symphony X crowd on what you think about the six or so songs released thus far. Personally, I can't stand it.

With the amount of talent both Allen and Portnoy have I am extremely disappointed in the mediocre Godsmack-ish music these guys have made. Russell's other sideprojects including his solo Atomic Soul stuff and Star One have been quite good and Portnoy's work on Avenged's new album is great (IMO). I don't know if I'm missing something in this new album of theirs but it lacks something BIG and I can't put my finger on it. It can't be talent because every member in that band is great - the songs just suck! What I don't understand is that where we all know Russell can shine, he comes out completely underwhelming on almost every song on the EP. I'd understand if they were just making the songs to have fun, but it seems like a complete waste of time/talent if they were actually serious about this band. Its almost like Vinnie Paul's Hellyeah "supergroup" except worse I think? It makes me sad that a band like this including someone like Allen will possibly get more big time recognition than Symphony X has received and that is how people will associate him. I mean for fuck's sake they are going to tour with Godsmack. Out of all bands out there that have a decently big name, that is the one chosen by Portnoy?

I may be making too big of a deal out of it but more than anything I just wanted to hear some other opinions of the stuff they've heard.

Muthafuckin' psychosane!

How brilliant and thought-provoking! This gem must have been written mostly by Portnoy.

Seriously, though, I can't stand this project. I couldn't even make it to the Sabbath cover, since I had to turn it off midway through the fourth track when I heard Russ yelling about car engines or something. I knew before I heard any of this that it wasn't going to please me, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

I also had no idea they were planning on touring behind this garbage. Russ needs to focus on Symphony X and not this band of underwhelming losers.

I like how on the EP's cover, which has silhouettes of the band members, it's immediately obvious which one Russell Allen is. :D

Seriously, though, I can't stand this project. I couldn't even make it to the Sabbath cover, since I had to turn it off midway through the fourth track when I heard Russ yelling about car engines or something. I knew before I heard any of this that it wasn't going to please me, but I didn't think it would be this bad.
What can I say about the cover? You can count on Russell Allen to give a powerful Dio tribute. I thought Portnoy's drums were a bit sterile, but I dunno, my ears are crap lately.

As for the band as a whole, it's not really my thing, but I understand the desire to play straight heavy metal once in a while. Symphony X's constant syncopation must get tiring.

Also, forgive me -
screenshot20111016at228.png

That was on the Black Sabbath video.

Very, very disappointing. I was looking forward to this since I love straight up heavy metal and hard rock just as much as prog. Everyone in the band is talented and has done great work in the past. I even enjoy some of Fozzy's stuff. These songs are weak though. There's really nothing positive I can say about any of it. Russell's vocals are even more unbearable on this than Iconoclast. I had to turn the volume down halfway through the first song, but that didn't really help much. Just awful.

I love straight up metal. I'm a fan of blues-infused heavy rock. I'm fine with the All-American grungey and sludgey guitar sound and singing about women and drugs or whatever...but you still have to write good songs. Adrenaline Mob is pitiful. A complete waste of Russell's time. Atomic Soul ventured into this territory and emerged unscathed because Russell's songs were fun, but well-composed. Psychosane almost made me shut off the EP.

The Mob Rules cover is cool, though. I'd rather hear a whole album of Russ covering Dio.

My opinion? O.K. HERE IT GOES!

Overall not great. Some good moments I guess. No good lyrics though. I mean... REALLY? I love Mike Portnoy's stuff overall but this must be his mid-life crisis. Seriously! The lyrics were below sub-par. The vocals weren't bad overall. Some parts I found to be bland and cheesy but Russ still has a great voice. Mike's drumming wasn't BAD but it was missing something. I don't know... Something! Not enough emotion there. The rest of the music was not horrible but not great either. There were some HORRID moments though where I nearly laughed to death. "MOTHERF***ING PSYCHOSANE!" I mean... are you serious? Man...

5/10 for me. Not the worst ever but not really good at all.

I like it. Just good old hard rock. Sure, it's not SymX. The production is straight forward and kind of plain. Russ Allen's voice is not well recorded. Makes me appreciate the professional production of Symphony X all that much more.
About the main thing I don't like about the Mob is that it costs something like $18 for a sampler CD. Still, I look forward to a real CD so I can hear more from the Mob.

My main critique for this project was the VERY unoriginal theme they've chosen for it. As for the music, other than one video from one of their shows (which seemed pretty energetic and rather fun to attend), I haven't been checking their songs knowing that it's not really my thing. Reading some of the bashing here I had the impression that they were absolutely horrible, so I decided to check them out.

Well I don't think they're exactly as bad as you, my fellow Symphony X snobs, are saying they are. Perhaps that is because I had no expectations whatsoever with regards to this project? My opinion remains unchanged, however, in the sense that I'll continue to not be interested in this stuff. They seem to be having a blast with it though, so good for them I guess. Could they have done this better? Considering the talents involved, absolutely. Then again, the same applies to DT's and SymX's recent albums - the latter being better of course. :heh:

My main critique for this project was the VERY unoriginal theme they've chosen for it. As for the music, other than one video from one of their shows (which seemed pretty energetic and rather fun to attend), I haven't been checking their songs knowing that it's not really my thing. Reading some of the bashing here I had the impression that they were absolutely horrible, so I decided to check them out.

Well I don't think they're exactly as bad as you, my fellow Symphony X snobs, are saying they are. Perhaps that is because I had no expectations whatsoever with regards to this project? My opinion remains unchanged, however, in the sense that I'll continue to not be interested in this stuff. They seem to be having a blast with it though, so good for them I guess. Could they have done this better? Considering the talents involved, absolutely. Then again, the same applies to DT's and SymX's recent albums - the latter being better of course. :heh:

I could agree somewhat. I don't think it is HORRIBLE and that I'd never listen to it ever again. I gave it a 5/10. It's very... O.K. :lol:

PSYCHOSANE! PSYCHOSANE!
:zombie::zombie:
MOTHERF***ing PSYCHOSANE!
:zombie::zombie::zombie::Smokin:
:lol::lol::puke:

More like a 3/10 to me. The riffs are unremarkable. The vocals are way too over the top. The lyrics are lame. It's only even a 3 because it's LOUD which is what they're going for, I guess. By all means, do check it out for yourself. If you go into it with the lowest of expectations, you just might be caught off guard and find something small to enjoy.

Not really into wah wankage and lyrics about fast cars and bullshit. Wouldnt listen to it but i would have fun seeing them live. What im pissed off more about is that MP is doing another rock project with others now. Way to cover more territory! Does MP think he can only play prog and instrumentals with JP or the Transatlantic guys?