Adrenaline Mob

An affectionate parody from Youtube (Dream Theater fans do have senses of humor)...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wliG4nuNLY&feature=related[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGF-qXiciq0

This song is really good. The transition into the solo is a little ridiculous, but whatever. Overall, I can enjoy these kinds of songs.

I went back and listened to the EP after hearing this and yeah, it still sucks. There is hope for this band.

Why do they put so much shit on his voice? Russell Allen has a beautiful amazing voice... but on that track they double/triple/quadruple it way too much and shove so much reverb/chorus/flange all over it it ruins it!

This band is a waste of talent.

I think Russell has an amazing voice. One of the best (if not the best) voices in metal .... when he actually sings! The screaming shit on AM and the last two SX albums is just horrible. I'm seriously wondering if he's losing his voice as he ages and just has to scream everything.

That's what he likes now, and recent reports show that he very much is "indiffereeeeent" to such opinions and that he is "better now so I don't need your sympathy". Skeptics however believe that the author of those claims is in fact someone else who is more known for writing cheesy and dramatic material based on personal life events. There may still be hope, gentlemen.

That's what he likes now, and recent reports show that he very much is "indiffereeeeent" to such opinions and that he is "better now so I don't need your sympathy". Skeptics however believe that the author of those claims is in fact someone else who is more known for writing cheesy and dramatic material based on personal life events. There may still be hope, gentlemen.

I'm confused. Are you trying to say that Russell has been abducted and the Russ we've known since Paradise Lost is a cyborg created by a sentient race of robots? Because that's what I'm getting out of it.

Come on, guys. How can you have a problem with his vocal performance on that song? If you do, I have to question how much you really liked his vocals in the first place. Sure, he's not singing the way he did on "A Winter's Dream" or "Lady of the Snow", but he sounds exactly like he always has otherwise. Compare the verses of "Indifferent" to those on "The Edge of Forever".

Now this is something you can bitch about:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow. Sad thing is, I didn't mind it until he started doing his "singing." What a waste. And what's with the juvenile cursing?

Also, I'm not sure if this is old news or not, but the reason Symphony X isn't finishing their tour with Iced Earth (and thus not coming to the Midwest at all) is because Adrenaline Mob is having their CD release shows in NYC on March 12 and 13. At this point I think Symphony X should just look for a new vocalist. Russ used to be the best singer in rock/metal, but now all he seems to care about is "singing" immature lyrics and wasting away with some garage band.

Man, you're just upset. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. That's not cool. :(

Iconoclast wouldn't sound any better if some guy was singing falsetto over the music instead. Russ isn't the problem. They need to look for a new guitarist!

Russ isn't the problem. They need to look for a new guitarist!

Dude. No Romeo, no Symphony X.

I think you're deluding yourself if you think that Russ doesn't factor into this dilemma, as he's made it very clear that he prefers singing in this rougher style. I believe Romeo is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He knows his band has one of the best singers in metal, and to avoid losing that he tries to cater to Russ's desire to sing "tougher" vocals (instead of the more progressive stuff that MJR himself prefers to write). He also looks out over the crowd each night and sees that not only are there more people present to hear the heavier stuff, but that they're also more "into" it than the prog fans. The progressive fans don't jump around and mosh and do stupid twirly drop-kicking shit (which is a good thing to civilized people), but from the perspective of someone in the band playing on stage, they want to see the crowd going crazy. It shows that their music has the power to "move" them (I'm trying not to sound overly cheesy here but I don't think it's working).

I think that's just the sad reality of things.

You make it sound as if standing around with your arms crossed is the ultimate way of enjoying a metal show.

I'm confused. Are you trying to say that Russell has been abducted and the Russ we've known since Paradise Lost is a cyborg created by a sentient race of robots? Because that's what I'm getting out of it.

lol! That's EXACTLY what I meant.

Seriously though, it just kinda seemed to me that "Indifferent" was written by Portnoy about, you know, the Dream Theater situation.

Maybe I'm wrong and he's not that cheesy.

They need to look for a new guitarist!

You have got to be trolling.

If not then you are probably the only one who thinks so.

You make it sound as if standing around with your arms crossed is the ultimate way of enjoying a metal show.

I have decided that the ultimate way of enjoying a metal show is to bring a huge and sharp medieval sword with me and wave it around randomly.

Of course that may potentially ruin the show for others but who cares? It's all about me having a good time and being all metal and badass.

I think you're deluding yourself if you think that Russ doesn't factor into this dilemma, as he's made it very clear that he prefers singing in this rougher style. I believe Romeo is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He knows his band has one of the best singers in metal, and to avoid losing that he tries to cater to Russ's desire to sing "tougher" vocals (instead of the more progressive stuff that MJR himself prefers to write). He also looks out over the crowd each night and sees that not only are there more people present to hear the heavier stuff, but that they're also more "into" it than the prog fans. The progressive fans don't jump around and mosh and do stupid twirly drop-kicking shit (which is a good thing to civilized people), but from the perspective of someone in the band playing on stage, they want to see the crowd going crazy. It shows that their music has the power to "move" them (I'm trying not to sound overly cheesy here but I don't think it's working).

I think that's just the sad reality of things.

That may actually be it. I think Romeo is just trying to keep everybody happy so to speak.

Like you said, he's got Russel who is now a big name in the metal scene and a big part of the band who is into this new direction. It may be nice to "go back to the roots" once in a while, Romeo and the rest of the guys seem to enjoy that, but to do so permanently which is what Russ seems to want? I don't know. I mean that is not even what "progressive" is about. I know they don't like labels and stuff, but I also know that Romeo is a prog guy and that the rest of the guys seem to prefer that too. For instance, if I'm not mistaken LePond once said that his favorite album is V (to which Russ responded with "really??").

But yeah, this is definitely not "The Michael Romeo Project" band, MJR is not Townsend or Malmsteen, and Russ probably does have a say in what direction the band goes and, of course, how the lyrics should be sung and whatnot. So realistically, I think what we'll have from now on is "a little bit of this, a little bit of that". The rough/heavy stuff might be a little less dominant in the next album but I don't foresee any change in general direction at this point.

I have decided that the ultimate way of enjoying a metal show is to bring a huge and sharp medieval sword with me and wave it around randomly.

You need to let me know when and where you plan on doing this so I can be there.

You have got to be trolling.
Obviously. Wow. I didn't think it would be that unclear to you guys, lol. I was sort of mocking Detective's suggestion which was equally ridiculous, yet apparently serious.

Detective Clarence Beauregard said:
I think you're deluding yourself if you think that Russ doesn't factor into this dilemma, as he's made it very clear that he prefers singing in this rougher style. I believe Romeo is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He knows his band has one of the best singers in metal, and to avoid losing that he tries to cater to Russ's desire to sing "tougher" vocals (instead of the more progressive stuff that MJR himself prefers to write).

MJR is the one creating the vast majority of what you hear on a Symphony X album. He is gonna write and play the music he wants to write and play in Symphony X. That's all he does. I know it's hard to accept that his current interests have deviated from yours, but you're kidding yourself if you think he's secretly longing to release some sort of REAL MUSIC HE LOVES that he isn't being allowed to write. Russell is the one guy in the band that does like a dozen projects outside of the band. If he wants to do something less prog, he clearly has no problem doing so elsewhere. In Symphony X, what he does is based on the music provided for him to work with. If Romeo gives him some metal riffs layered with metal riffs, what style of singing do you think he is going to use?

At this point I think Symphony X should just look for a new vocalist. Russ used to be the best singer in rock/metal, but now all he seems to care about is "singing" immature lyrics and wasting away with some garage band.

At this point I think Symphony X should just call it quits. I don't think I've listened to or cared to listen to Paradise Lost in more than a year, and I can't even remember the songs on Iconoclast save for two or three. Compare this to how good almost every song on the old albums were equally amazing and good. DWOT, Twilight, V, and the Odyssey most of us love all the songs because they're all pretty damn good, or at least people like 75% of the songs.

Symphony X is done. I will continue enjoying their old albums and showing all my friends how incredible they are on those albums.

^--Yes, I agree with that logic. All of the bands should quit once you stop liking them for a few albums.

Srsly, Romeo with his hands tied lamenting the lack of prog in Russ' metal rampage? You've got to be delusional to believe that, guys.

I second this.