[New Project] Mike Portnoy starts work with Russell Allen

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Hot Flashes
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 at 22:32:10 EST

Former DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has announced via Twitter that he is working on a new project with SYMPHONY X vocalist Russell Allen. Portnoy's Tweet reads as follows:

"VERY excited about a new project I'm working on w one my fav singers in the world: my bro Sir Russell Allen...wait til you hear this sh*t!!!"

I'm psyched already.

I'm psyched to say the least.

I really hope this is a new project rather than Russell Alen's second solo album. I love Atomic Soul, but I really look forward to something really heavy, with intricate guitar work a la Marco Sfogli, dense synth elements, and the grave low-end with Mike's godly drumming. I hope to hear Russell slip into the later-day Symphony X stuff, like The Odyssey, and also the last Star One album. Honestly, unlike some people on the Portnoy forum, I wouldn't like to have Michael Romeo or anyone else from the Symphony X camp in this project. Weirdly enough, I had Sfogli in my as soon as I read this, or what about the Nevermore guitarist? What I'm saying is, I really want this thing to be HEAVY and proggy at the same time.

Any speculations?

Yeah. I hope it's not going to be Dream Theaterish stuff with Russell allen vocals either, but something new. I think a big question is, who is going to handle the song writing? Portnoy? Or are they writing it together? And yeah, who else is gonna be involved. Hard to say anything more before we know what the direction is going to be.

2 choices. Either it's gonna sound something pretty cool or its gonna sound something what u could expect from ex DT drummer and Allen who is on aggressive singing style hype. <--Some sarcasm included there.

"fuck this touring and playing shit and stuff, I'm taking a break"
"no you're not. we want to continue"
"well go on without me then, see if I care"
"okay bye"

like 2 hours later on his twitter or some shit

"guys I just started 6 new obscure projects that will never happen and I'm playing some shit with avenged sevenfold they kind of suck but that's alright, gotta pay the bills"

2 months later

"guys I changed my mind I want to join the band again"
"you said you quit, we're already auditioning a new drummer"
"well, shit. hey fans at least I tried, the ball's in their court now" (he actually said this)

"I need to do something. hmmm, who do I know who's not busy working with anything because his band takes 5 years to release an album... oh yeah"

Ah, more bashing.. Let's wait for a change to hear it first, okay? I (and non-PL bashers) have some faith in it, you can't go wrong with that combination.

"fuck this touring and playing shit and stuff, I'm taking a break"
"no you're not. we want to continue"
"well go on without me then, see if I care"
"okay bye"

like 2 hours later on his twitter or some shit

"guys I just started 6 new obscure projects that will never happen and I'm playing some shit with avenged sevenfold they kind of suck but that's alright, gotta pay the bills"

2 months later

"guys I changed my mind I want to join the band again"
"you said you quit, we're already auditioning a new drummer"
"well, shit. hey fans at least I tried, the ball's in their court now" (he actually said this)

"I need to do something. hmmm, who do I know who's not busy working with anything because his band takes 5 years to release an album... oh yeah"

Hahahahhaaaahahahahaha!! :lol:

I'm really excited though. Can't wait :d/ :dopey:

Yeah, well Portnoy isn't exactly my favourite drummer either, but you know, atleast he quit DT, which had been sucking pretty hard for years. Kinda weird that he tried to re-join, apparently because tons of fans asked him to return... Whatever.

But you know... I might be overly positive but ffs, it can't be as bad as the last Dream Theater album. My brother had the exact same reaction as Kenneth here and you guys might indeed be right, but... Give it a chance. We'll see..

Portnoy wanted to return to DT? I had no idea. Were was this piece of news?

It seems kinda dumb for him to try to rejoin DT after that.

This is going to suck balls. Mark my prediction, you heard it here first.

I have nothing really to add to this other than it made me laugh for about 5 minutes straight.

Portnoy does have a family to feed, so I guess this explains the recent flood of side projects. Hopefully some of them will be good!

It's too bad LaBrie didn't leave DT instead of Portnoy; that would have made them listenable again.

Anyway I hope Russ sings really rough on this side project and gets it all out of his system so he can sing more melodic again with Symphony X.

Of course Kenny said it will suck...he has an image to maintain!

I'd be much more interested in a Gavin Harrison/Allen partnership. I don't dislike Portnoy, but his drumming doesn't interest me anywhere near as much.
Absolutely. Or just about any other prog drummer. Even NDV. Everyone is more interesting than Portnoy. Still waiting on that rumored thing with Akerfeldt. At least that might not suck with him.
Of course Kenny said it will suck...he has an image to maintain!

yer damn right.

Åkerfeldt is doing that album with Steven Wilson at the moment, but apparently they said no thank you to Portnoy, cause the album doesn't need any drumming.