[New Project] Mike Portnoy starts work with Russell Allen

I've heard a rumor he's actually gonna make the dream theater we've all longed for. They'll call themselves Dräm Theater.
It's gonna be him + the guys from symphony X.
Then he'll quit and be replaced by Rullo.

Everyone is more interesting than Portnoy.

:lol:

Remember when he dyed his goatee bright blue? That was hilarious. He's like a 40-something dude trying to fit in so desperately with the younger generations that it's pathetic. I'm pretty sure the whole Avenged Sevenfold thing was proof enough of this.

However, to Portnoy's credit, he is one of only two members of Dream Theater who has yet to piss me off in any substantial way, personally or musically. I remember he said once that he feels more comfortable and would rather play a small basic kit when compared to that spaceship he's played for the past decade with DT. This is good, because even if you're playing prog metal, you don't need three bass drums, eight octobans, and a fucking gong.

Åkerfeldt is doing that album with Steven Wilson at the moment, but apparently they said no thank you to Portnoy, cause the album doesn't need any drumming.

Which is a shame, because I was really hoping for Åkerfeldt and Wilson's peaceful melodies to be broken up by horribly-placed showboat drum fill.

I've heard a rumor he's actually gonna make the dream theater we've all longed for. They'll call themselves Dräm Theater.
It's gonna be him + the guys from symphony X.
Then he'll quit and be replaced by Rullo.

:lol::lol::lol:

Still waiting on that rumored thing with Akerfeldt. At least that might not suck with him.
Åkerfeldt is doing that album with Steven Wilson at the moment, but apparently they said no thank you to Portnoy, cause the album doesn't need any drumming.
Well then, seems my oracle abilities leveled up yet again. :lol:
However, to Portnoy's credit, he is one of only two members of Dream Theater who has yet to piss me off in any substantial way, personally or musically.
Is the other one John Myung? Cause if it isn't, I really want to know how he could offend anyone. :lol:

However, to Portnoy's credit, he is one of only two members of Dream Theater who has yet to piss me off in any substantial way, personally or musically. I remember he said once that he feels more comfortable and would rather play a small basic kit when compared to that spaceship he's played for the past decade with DT. This is good, because even if you're playing prog metal, you don't need three bass drums, eight octobans, and a fucking gong.

Which is a shame, because I was really hoping for Åkerfeldt and Wilson's peaceful melodies to be broken up by horribly-placed showboat drum fill.

I'd be intrigued to hear a breakdown on how the other guys in DT managed to negatively affect you - considering they're all relatively quiet family men who involve themselves in musical projects with integrity.

And in Mike's defense the 3 kicks are just 2 sets of two where the middle one is shared - the octobans are fine - and yes, the gong is excessive.

And Steve Wilson..............:puke:

I'd be intrigued to hear a breakdown on how the other guys in DT managed to negatively affect you - considering they're all relatively quiet family men who involve themselves in musical projects with integrity.

I've met everyone in Dream Theater quite a few times, save for Petrucci, who would never come out of the bus/out from backstage/out of the venue to meet the fans. Plus he ruins songs with excessive, out-of-place shredding, particularly in the past decade.

Rudess was really cool the few times I've met him, but that's no excuse for the horrible space patches he constantly insists on using, or the fact that half the time he's just doubling Petrucci and Myung with some shitty razor patch that sounds like cheese being grated. Give me Pinnella any day over this. I don't care if he doesn't spin around on stage like a ballerina; at least his sound is excellent.

LaBrie is a douche and sounds like a dying bird. No further explanation needed.

And in Mike's defense the 3 kicks are just 2 sets of two where the middle one is shared - the octobans are fine - and yes, the gong is excessive.

I'm nitpicking; I actually do respect Portnoy. I just think his kit is a bit too excessive, that's all. A few octobans are fine, but eight? And I know the kick drums are two sets, but it's still a bit ridiculous.

And Steve Wilson..............:puke:

I'm not a huge Porc Tree fan either, but I like the work he did with Opeth.

Integrity :lol:

:lol:

I know, I know...

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Phanto and Dect. have some serious Dream Theater rage going on and I'm loving every minute of it. Good stuff guys, good laughs.

Every time I hear of Portonoy, I just see him in my head yelling at the top of his lungs, "DARF DARF DAAAAARRFFFF DARF DARF DARFFFFFFFFFFF DARF." HAhahahaha