Advice/critique this drum sound/mix plox !

StudioSamurai

New Metal Member
Jul 21, 2009
Hi Guys,

A reasonably prominent label has said they like us but want to hear more material and so to that end, I'm making some demos out of some drum tracks I recorded a little while ago. I've just finished the bulk of the editing for this one track (some artifacts/clicks do remain but I'll get those out on the next pass)

I've put together a rough drum mix for you guys to have a listen to and to see if the drums are useable and I'd love to get some feedback / pointers / how you might approach continuing this mix considering where it currently is.

I'm finding the snare a little washy though I'm pretty sure I like the sample I'm using, advise? Toms and kick sound alright to me but the kit as a whole doesn't seem right...

Here's a little info:

Kit was a standard Tama Rockstar with pretty standard cymbals; Zildjan etc.

Kick : D6 blended with a sneap kick sample, 100% original kick mix, about 30% sample + lots of comp etc

Snare: originally i5 but blended heavily with Slate; about 70% Slate + room samples on an aux

Toms: all original, little comp + EQ, floor tom replaced with Slate maple I think

OH's: Spaced pair of NT5s, nothing fancy; little bit of a low cut and thats pretty much it.

All shells are parallel compd with a purple audio MC77 (any other suggestions?)

a little tiny bit of reverb (less than it sounds like..) on the snare and toms.

Heres the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1638413/Zombie Drum.mp3

Also I tried making a fake room mic and squishing it to high heaven using one of the overheads; it sounded great on the drums but I was getting phasy artifacts on the cymbals... Is there a way to do this or is it a bad idea?

Thanks in advance

oh also, theres an oxford limiter on the 2 bus. The drums still dont seem that loud compared to alot of the stuff I hear on here...

Reverb on the snare? Whatever it is, I don't like it. The snare also needs a good bit of a top end boost. I have no complaints about anything else. Maybe brighten up the OH a bit.

Thanks for your feedback metalfanat1c; I agree with the snare comments. I will try and get a new clip up later today for you to check out