Impressions of this drum sound/mix (real drums)

Benny H

Degenerate
Nov 6, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Pity there's some artifacts from soundcloud (even though I uploaded wav?) but not too bad..

The overheads are pair Behringer c-2
Toms internally mic'd with JTS cx-505 (no resos)
Kick = slate trigger (mic'd originally) ..made an instrument with metal machine kicks
Snare = slate (mic'd originally)
I should probably mic the hats/ride as well

Bass = sansamp
Guitars I think were krank revjr and guitarhack impulse on this (old school!)

Am I at an ok starting point for a reasonable production with these sounds? Particularly the drums?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it´s quite good so far! maybe the snare could be a very little more gentle and the kick a little louder. the song in my mind and the drumming seems to be a bit chaotic but maybe it´s not really my kind of music. soundwise it´s good! :)

Cheers.. fair suggestions.
I would never argue against louder kick haha.

I need to work on my playing for sure. It is meant to be chaotic but not it a sloppy playing way! ..which there are some stuff ups and sections I'm less competent with.

I will say the snare sounds a little loud for sure. Overall the drums decay to quickly for my taste against the rest of the music. A light touch of room reverb (I think anyway) would really settle the mix into something more refined. It sounds great nonetheless, but i think turning down drums and adding room verb would blend everything into an awesome mix. Either way, sounds bad ass.

Cheers for checking it. Definitely taking these ideas on board. Might have been inclined to swap in different samples but will try to improve what I've gone with here.