mixing my own ep - lend me your ears please!

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey guys,

so right now i'm mixing my own EP, and i could use some input and pointers from you guys.
this is still a roughmix, refrain is still missing a few background choirs etc. i mainly worked on the drums and guitars here. i'll retrack the bass too, as i recorded these songs one at a time and the bass sounds quite different between the first and last recorded song.

link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/PANDORA/pandora - so in trouble album roughmix 0407.wav

info:
real drums on this one. kick is 100% replaced with a mix of 2 slate samples. snare is 50/50 real/sample. the real snare is once again a blend of top, bottom, and another top track that we ran through a hardware comp (aphex or D&R, i forgot) during tracking. audix i5 on top, rode nt1 on bottom.
sample blend is a mix of 3 slate snares plus 2 slate ambience/room samples. there's also a compressed to fuck version of the natural snare running in parallel. toms are 100% natural, although i'll likely trigger them with the samples i took from the kit for consistency's sake.

guitars are a blend of 5150 lead channel and lecto run through the poweramp of my engl fireball 100 and miced up. i originally reamped through the fireball but it sounded too similar to the 5150 for some reason. framus 212cs cab with v30 speakers, sm57 and rode nt1 on two different speakers, blended to taste...the nt1 is actually louder most of the time.

bass is just scratch tracks as i already said....right now it's yamaha rbx375 through BoD and juicy 77 for distortion, i'll retrack with an ibanez btb 505 (IIRC) and will likely end up with some sansamp psa1 in the mix....still unsure.

as i said, most of the work went into drums and guitars. i feel the vocals need to sit better/differently - any pointers will be appreciated. right now it's just basic compression (ssl channel), touch of EQ, L1 limiter on the vocals....vocal reverb is bricasti m7 impulse, quarter note delay that's not automated yet....

ah, the whole thing is unmastered too, although i already put some plugins on the 2bus to check how the whole thing holds up against clipping and limiting. right now there's a touch of ssl comp (4:1 30ms attack 0.1s release, 2db GR maybe), slight saturation and a HP @ 30hz on the 2bus nothing more.

thanks in advance!

I like the kick and the guitars, snare needs more velocity I think

Vocals stick out because the don't match the guitars highmid and highendwise...try to even that out a bit more!

Are you going to re relase the EP with real drums and remixed?

thanks for the comment!
as for the snare, i'll automate the sample track for the final mix....it's indeed a bit static right now.

regarding the vocals, yes they are somewhat dull in contrast to the guitars...the thing is, if i boost the highend they start to get annoying for some reason...i'll experiment with removing some higher midrange from the guitars to give them more space in that region. or do you have any different suggestions?

i originally did a 2 track demo, this will be a 5 track EP with real drums and remixed. so it's not really a re-release.

any further comments?

Snare has to much snap i think. Maybe it´s caused by the crushed track. Other wise snare is a bit thin or paper sounding. Can´t give you decent tips, caus i suck at mixing real snares.

Kick seems to work good for this kinda stuff.

Guitars are lacking some bite. Keep an eye on the mud area.

Vocals sounding great.

You once posted some dí´s and midi for mixing practice. Was it for the same band/project? You could post a few bars of this track. Drums and guits would be enough. Would love to try some ideas.

regarding the vocals, yes they are somewhat dull in contrast to the guitars...the thing is, if i boost the highend they start to get annoying for some reason...i'll experiment with removing some higher midrange from the guitars to give them more space in that region. or do you have any different suggestions?

i originally did a 2 track demo, this will be a 5 track EP with real drums and remixed. so it's not really a re-release.

hm no not really, I'd also just try to either give more to the vocals or take some from the guitars...maybe some presence boost on some plugin could help?
Or more De-essing if it gets annoying when the vocals are boosted in highs
you could always try more delay and reveb and pull back the volume of the vocals, then they "sit" in more for sure, but I dont know if you're going after that sound

I think I liked the guitars more before, but they are more mix-friendly now with less low end
also vocals and guitar work a bit better now I think!
Snare still sounds robotic, especially on the first riff were there are more hits. the other parts arent that bad