Advice needed

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Can anyone give me some advice, I was thinking of getting an m-audio firewire interface, but i've decided it's possibly too much for the little amount of recording I do. So I was wondering if using my current onboard sound, and buying a half decent mic preamp instead would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance.

You have to remember when you record in the digital realm, the conversion from analog to digitial is really important and if you have a shitty convertor, like the one on your computer, it wouldnt matter what mic or mic pre you used. I would say research convertors and better soundcards. Hammerfall makes an excellent soundcard; i own one and love it. Apogee makes excellent convertors as well. Good luck man.

hey, i'm still after a sound card too. i dont have to much of an idea in this area... hammerfall seems to expensive... so i might just get the Audiophile 2494, although it might be worth spending a bit more and getting the Delta 1010LT?? There's also this Echo Mia MIDI thing but i'm not sure if it's an actual soundcard? What about the Terratec Phase 22?

Any hints'd be gratefully received! Cheers.

Fair enough, i guess i might as well stick with what i have at the moment and switch to a new soundcard when i can afford it. Thanks for the advice guys.

nah don't be done with this thread, i'm hunting for a decent audio card as well, but i too need advice on what to get. i've been looking at the m-audio 2496, is it still something worth buying? what about recording digital vs analogue, sound card wise?

thanks

You can probably pick up an MBox I these days for $200 USD or so and it comes with ProTools.

Not sure what M-Audio interfaces you were looking at and if you were factoring in software price.