Help needed - Problem with vocals recording

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
I started recording vocals yesterday and i noticed something wrong. I'm not sure how to describe it, it's like a distortion in the higher frequencies or harsh sounding high frequencies...I uploaded a small sample here : http://www.mytempdir.com/1225568

The recording chain is a rode NT1-a mic --> http://www.behringer.com/MX802A/index.cfm?lang=ENG
--> m-audio 2496 --> nuendo ....

I'm guessing the problem is caused by the crappy preamp on my mixing console but before buying a new preamp i wanted to ask you guys just in case I'm doing something wrong...or maybe is just my headphones fault?

If i need to buy a new mic preamp it has to be the cheapest possible with which I can have decent results. I've seen in a couple of threads here people mentioning the ART TUBE MP which is cheap enough... will this do?

This ain't gonna solve your problem, but this is what was said about the NT1 in another thread:

Not trying to bust on OPG (other people's gear), but that NT1A is one of the biggest pieces of shit mics ever manufactured. It has an extremely horrible reputation among professional engineers - and that's for a reason. It has the worst top end of all time. I refuse to mix anything where the vocals have been recorded with one of those pieces of junk. It's always apparent upon playing the raw tracks.

I really doubt it's the mics fault... from the research i did i believe you can find 20 good reviews for every bad one...
Also i checked an older recording i had done some time ago with a different mic and i noticed the problem there too... even though i hadn't noticed it at that time because it was a very hurried demo recording.

That Behringer mixer isn't probably helping. When it comes to modestly priced preamps which produce OK results, most go for the Studio Project VTB-1 or the M-Audio DMP3 (I have one of these).

I've not used the ART unit you mentioned, but according to a sound on sound review I read, they're not particularly transparent and sonically leave a bit to be desired.

I hear typical cheap condenser top end in your sample...
:puke:

Of course you do...it's that piece of crap Rode.

Smy1, if you think that your NT1 has a nicer top end than a 4040 then you should get yer ears checked. Maybe your 4040 was jacc'd up or something...cuz there ain't no way in hell that can be true otherwise.

Mic pres are overrated.

I've not used the ART unit you mentioned, but according to a sound on sound review I read, they're not particularly transparent and sonically leave a bit to be desired.
i use those ART pre's for everything i record, guitars, vox, drums, and im very happy with the results for the money