Recording Black Metal - Need Advice

MKS

May 24, 2005
I just recently started recording some my friends music. I decided to do a some freebies at first to get accustomed to the gear. My first client was a black metal artist. Admittedly, I have zero experience with Black Metal. Truth be told, I thought it would be easy (not really). Simply record a few guitar tracks, setup a decent vocal mic and have him yell his head off.

Programming the drum parts was fairly easy. He plays to an Alesis SR16 drum machines. The song was all one tempo and limited fills. Instead of going through the steps to record the midi data, I decided to write the parts myself and use DFHS for the drums.

He played his parts with very errors but all the guitars parts we "high" register. I recorded his tone dry so I could reamp later. It's hard to get a full guitars sound when the guitar parts don't ever utilize the lower registers. Nor does he ever let chords ring out and as I already knew, breakdowns are like praising Jesus in Black Metal. You just don't do it.

Here's a rough recording:
http://www.mksstudios.com/cold2.mp3

The drums are not bounced yet and the distortion is all through amplitube 1. I plan to reamp them tomorrow either through Vetta II or Mesa Road King. I know the recording sucks compared everything else posted here but I would still like some advice. I just don't have a grasp on black metal and what the finished product should sound like. Even if I did, I don't know how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

For what it is it doesn't sound that bad at all.
Not really digging the snare though personally and the constant cymbal at the end is kind of annoying.
It will probably sound a little better once you add some bass in there though.

If you don't listen to black metal I suggest downloading a few albums to listen to.

SPLASTiK said:
For what it is it doesn't sound that bad at all.

Not really digging the snare though, in some fast parts it sounds like tapping a drum stick against a door or something...

It will probably sound a little better once you add some bass in there.

I agree about the snare. It should be better once I bounce them in Superior. I am worried that it will be hard to get a good snare sound and have it cut through.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a bit of experience with Black Metal(evil grin), so hopefully I can help.

First suggestion, find a really, really deep bass tone to balance out those hi guitars. Watch for hi end fizz in the guitars as well.
Drums: go get DKFHS and use the Alesis to trigger the samples. From what I've been hearing from your demo, the Alesis samples pretty much suck. (not trying to be mean, just honest)
What I'd really like to advise is that the drummer play a real kit. I find with BM, a real kit separates the men from the boys. Especially where blast beats & dynamics are concerned.

Guitars: Amplitube sucks. Rent a real amp to re-record. Try the 6505.

Best of luck to you.

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
I have a bit of experience with Black Metal(evil grin), so hopefully I can help.

First suggestion, find a really, really deep bass tone to balance out those hi guitars. Watch for hi end fizz in the guitars as well.
Drums: go get DKFHS and use the Alesis to trigger the samples. From what I've been hearing from your demo, the Alesis samples pretty much suck. (not trying to be mean, just honest)
What I'd really like to advise is that the drummer play a real kit. I find with BM, a real kit separates the men from the boys. Especially where blast beats & dynamics are concerned.

Guitars: Amplitube sucks. Rent a real amp to re-record. Try the 6505.

Best of luck to you.

-0z-

Actually, that is DFHS with the default settings for "Sonar of Metal". Right down to the exact EQ and mix. Not that I disagree about the sound.

This is a one man project who does guitars, bass and vox. Bass has not been recorded yet and he can't play drums. I play drums but I can't hit those tempos. Just being honest.

Yeah, amplitube serves it's purpose. We have a Line 6 Vetta and Mesa Road King. I think they will help the sound marginally. That is why I recorded the dry signal so I would have some flexibility with the final guitar sounds.

Well, if you're using Dkfhs, I'd highly recommend playing around with different samples....especially the cymbals. Play with the velocities as well. You can get it to sound great if you put some time into it.

As for guitars, again, I'd highly recommend renting a 6505. You might not find what you're looking for with what you have on hand.

Best of luck,
-0z-

OzNimbus said:
Well, if you're using Dkfhs, I'd highly recommend playing around with different samples....especially the cymbals. Play with the velocities as well. You can get it to sound great if you put some time into it.

As for guitars, again, I'd highly recommend renting a 6505. You might not find what you're looking for with what you have on hand.

Best of luck,
-0z-

I've only heard 1 6505. It sounded really nice but I still think think RK sounds better. That's just my opinion.

first of all. you need to go out to the woods to do this correctly. and you need to use one mic and have the whole band play at once. make sure the vocals sound just as shitty when you overdub them. and then you need to fuck with that whole "mix" and get it to sound even more shitty err i mean "grim" and "necro", and only then will it be tr00 as fragl says.

heh so yea thats black metal

abigailwilliams said:
first of all. you need to go out to the woods to do this correctly. and you need to use one mic and have the whole band play at once. make sure the vocals sound just as shitty when you overdub them. and then you need to fuck with that whole "mix" and get it to sound even more shitty err i mean "grim" and "necro", and only then will it be tr00 as fragl says.

heh so yea thats black metal

Don't forget the Corpse Paint ! :D :D

Ok, It think I got it.

+Totally scoop out everything below 1000 hz!
+Don't forget the Corpse Paint!
+Get an endorsement with a paint manufacturer!

I just picked up a gallon of goats blood. We're ready to record!

Right on! :)

Anyways, for a tr00 necro kvlt grim sound -- and ahem still very good and clear sound reference, check out Mayhem's album De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. I'm sure your friend has the CD, so just ask for it for a few days.

I think I finally understand black metal. It is the neverending battle between an electric typewriter and a blender set to "frappe" in a post apocalyptic fight to "the death".

Torniojaws said:
Right on! :)

Anyways, for a tr00 necro kvlt grim sound -- and ahem still very good and clear sound reference, check out Mayhem's album De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. I'm sure your friend has the CD, so just ask for it for a few days.

I've been listening to "Grand Declaration Of War" for the past hour. Holy fuck, that drummer is fast. I bet live he's moving so fast he looks like he is standing still.