NEED URGENT ADVICE! how much?

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
Hi guys!
I just got a job to write and record guitar parts for someone on their album and need to get back to them soon. What the guy wants basically is solos as well as guitar parts on his songs.

First time i work as a sessionist and would like some advice as to what a fair price should be for that type of service per song? and what about if i help with the whole album, same thing price wise?

Not sure what additionnal info i should give you if needed please tell me.

I dont want to ask for too low of a price because my band takes all my time, but at the same time i want to be fair; im a musician not a business man so i am looking for an honest/fair price.

Thanks a lot!

Oh by the way this isnt a label or known artist if that makes any difference.

Oh one more thing i took the liberty of working on a first song with my keyboardist because we thought it needed some additional parts. In the end these are his songs so he will decide but he DID tell me to go ahead if i had any ideas on how to better the songs.

In case he wants that, then i will share the money with my keyboardist.

ON topic, how many songs are you writing for? if it's an album complete, you might want to start counting the project hours it will take on your end. Or do a fixed rate per song.

Variables are if you're recording with your own gear, or DI'ing . the harder you work, the more you deserve to be paid.

To bro or not to bro. Ten bucks a song sound decent? If you're not taking the time to amp and track everything yourself? in which case, nudge up the price a bit. I'd think that was pretty decent, inexpensive on the artist.

thanks for the answer RedDog.

You said ban that guy? just like more details why? if theres something i am not getting at all id rather learn about it then be banned? haha

Is it because of the "writing additionnal parts"? if that is the case dont worry about it theres a lot more behind the story that i was just too lazy to explain especially that it's off topic,

If however there was another reason you said that please let me know!

thanks again

EDIT: it just occured to me that you might not have understood that the keyboard player is working on the artist's project with me? In that case it is kind of irrelevant to the asking price. i just thought id mention it

I think someone posted something inappropriate, and the post was deleted? And he was replying to that, not you on the ban part.

charge by the hour and choose as high a rate as you're comfortable with. session musicians get paid extraordinarily well, and they deserve to be.

thanks for the answer RedDog.

You said ban that guy? just like more details why? if theres something i am not getting at all id rather learn about it then be banned? haha

Is it because of the "writing additionnal parts"? if that is the case dont worry about it theres a lot more behind the story that i was just too lazy to explain especially that it's off topic,

If however there was another reason you said that please let me know!

thanks again

EDIT: it just occured to me that you might not have understood that the keyboard player is working on the artist's project with me? In that case it is kind of irrelevant to the asking price. i just thought id mention it

Yeah, there was a user advertising NFL jerseys and his only reply was "Hi, happy to see your post here. nfljerseysclickhere". I reported him and his post was deleted, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for your answers guys!

Sorry about the misunderstanding RedDog it did give me a head spin trying to figure out what i said that wasnt appropriate! lol

So we talked to the guy and he really liked what we demoed (me and the keyboardist) and is really looking fwd to working with us. Were gonna help him with the arrangement of the song as well changing parts here and there once we have the multitrack.

I had to leave in a hurry tho and cut the meeting short so we didnt discuss budget.

I understand what you guys are saying but if i could have an approximation of an actual amount ill feel better about two things:

- on his side not ripping him off.
- on my side since its my first job and im still a noob business wide, i dont want to have too low of a price which would have a negative impact on other musicians doing that job by dropping the market down (i give myself too much credit saying i will have this much impact on the market. haha of course i wont but its just to give you an idea of the kind of things that are going on in my head

I feel kinda stupid. I am a full time musician (not a professional one because so far i have just been putting money into it to do something i love, but still didnt get "into the profession".) so that's what i do, but i have so much yet to learn.
Feel like a dumbass.

so f*&^ that going to go listen to some riffs haha

If you guys can offer some more advice id be greatfull.

thanks again

i think one of the biggest factors in this is whether the guy you're going to be writing for has a record deal or any sort of distribution/promotional weight behind him. if so, i'd be asking for an hourly rate to bill the label.

however, if this is an independent/self-produced sort of deal that is going to be widely distributed, and thus probably won't sell too much, i would do it on a per-song basis, and for whatever you think you time is worth, and that he can afford.